Tanatos?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chubfarm2001, Jan 9, 2014.

1. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

2. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I'm also curious about these. Are they at least on par with the Bass Mods?
  3. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

I may have to just get one and find out first hand. The price is really low, but shipping is pretty high. From what I can tell, they have pretty decent features.
  4. og61pbass

og61pbass

To many strings...::confused:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

The description says they're in Japan, which is probably the reason for the high shipping cost.

A quick look at the Feedback, I see at least 4 people have already ordered, received and posted positive feedback on their instruments. Two of them ended up winning the auction at just $355.
  7. TijmenZonderH

TijmenZonderH

I was actually one of the first buyers. The bass is simply great! I've lend the bass to several professionals and conservatory students, everyone guessed it was worth between 2500 and 3500 dollars.

It has a very low action and plays smooth and fast. Immediately I noticed the pickups have lot of high frequency content. Boosting the lows with the preamps gives an amazing sound.

It's possible for me to record short samples for those interested. Unfortunately the seller stopped auctioning on ebay for now. But even at a list price of $1500 is well worth it's money.
  8. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

That is good news. Always good to know when decent basses are available for good prices. What would you estimate as its weight? How does it balance?

Maybe you could post actual pictures. Recording samples would be cool too.
  9. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Tanatos?? Oh hell yeah......a bag of those and some spinach dip, and you've got a party! :D
  10. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sooo, I just got my Tanatos from the latest batch last week and used it for the first time with a full band last night. It is FANTASTIC. I want to endorse this company somehow, or at least spread the word.

First of all, out of the batch, I won the auction for the least attractive bass based upon the pictures. I really wanted to try a gorgeous prototype with 30 frets but the bidding went above $1,000 which I wasn't prepared to spend on an experiment. So I picked up the "plain-Jane" finish with 24 frets, where the pic was similar to the one in the OP. The picture did NOT do this bass justice! It's a great glossy finish with multiple layers of protection - the wood grain looks gorgeous - the hardware is shiny but quality and makes the hardware on my SoundGear 6-string look like a plastic joke. The ebony minimalist fretboard looks solid as granite, etc. In short, the ugly duckling in my mind still turned out great.

As far as weight and balance goes, I haven't weighed the bass yet but the shipping invoice said 7kg. Minus the packing and box, I'm guessing the bass is still about 14 pounds. It is definitely a ginormous instrument! However, the balance feels very good compared to Conklins I've tried (they are my only other frame of reference and I found them clumsy). Because of the sheer size of the neck I have had to monkey around with the strap. If you hang it too high, the first few frets will be painful to play because they jut too far to the left. If it's too low, the upper register becomes difficult to handle. So there are definitely issues getting used to the scale beyond what I've experienced with a 6-string.

I don't feel like the action is correct. This is a 35" scale bass but it feels to me like they have 34" strings on there. Right now I purchased the bass to match the Drop-C tuning that one of my bands uses and it is fine in that tuning, but I would rush to get the action lowered if I was consistently in standard tuning. I checked the neck relief and it seems perfect, so I'm pretty sure the added tension is from the strings or perhaps saddle height.

Finally, the sound... This is easily one of my best-sounding basses! The upper strings are sparkly, and have a baritone guitar effect - it helps being able to do bluesy bends and vibrato with ease (I heart 2-step bends). The low end really shone through when I rehearsed with my band last night. My E-string is tuned down to C and the lowest string is a G, so that's off the scale of a piano. I usually keep the lowest string at an A on my other basses (even the 35 inchers) because it is too floppy, but this was tight and clear. The low C-stuff was amazingly clear as well - I was doing very fast riffing and it was great hearing a clear fundamental popping out from the amp.

Since this bass wasn't exactly the one I wanted, I want to sell it eventually, but only so that I can get more and have different Tanatos basses for different tunings. The whole impetus for this experiment is that normally I just drop-tune a couple of strings when my guitarists switch instruments, but I wanted to be able to cover some studio guitar parts live and needed to start matching string-for-string.
  11. Immigrant

Immigrant

I was gonna crack a joke about how many Tanatos devastated Oklahoma last year, but you stole my thunder.:p

Nice looking basses though.
  12. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

I didn't have any jokes about the name because when I was wee I thought Thanatosaurus (death lizard) was the coolest dinosaur name and it's pretty much the same root word.

However, the bass itself is called a Claymore, so I couldn't help but crack up when I saw the title of this video:
    :ninja: