Tanglewood Rebel 4K Bass Rewire Project

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Swissola, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Swissola

Swissola

Hi all

I'm currently in the planning stages to shield, rewire and possibly replace the pots in my P/J bass. Now, it is a 3 pot set up with 2 volume and 1 tone (mix) and they are Alpha 500K all round. One thing I have noticed is that the volume pots seem to be type B and the tone pot is a type A. This seems to be wrong to me as everywhere I have read says that your volume pots should be type A (log) and your tone pots should be type B (linear)???

Would there be any reason for it to be wired this way or do you think the original factory guitar tech hadn't had his morning coffee yet? I have also heard that manufacturers haven't always named consistently, so I'd have to check with a multimeter to confirm which is which.

I have the Seymour Duncan wiring diagram that shows it with 250K pots all round but was thinking of changing it up a little. I was thinking of putting a 500K on the neck pick-up and a 250K on the bridge. Is it advisable to have different pots in series? If I could do do this what would the recommended tone (mix) pot be, a 250K or 500K?

Another consideration is disconnecting the neck PU from the tone control and having it volume only and the vol & tone just for the bridge (although I have no clue how to wire that currently :confused:)

Another consideration could be to have a push/pull switch configuration so I could run the PU's in series or in parallel (again @ Seymour Duncan)

Forgot to mention that my pick-ups are by EMC Electronics (Rebadged EMGs?) and sound pretty good, so will be leaving them in.

Discussions most welcome. Thanks!
  2. 12pstan345

12pstan345

How did you get on? Interested to hear what you did and the difference it made...