1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tanglewood Rebel 4K Bass Rewire Project

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Swissola, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Swissola

Swissola

Hi all

I'm currently in the planning stages to shield, rewire and possibly replace the pots in my P/J bass. Now, it is a 3 pot set up with 2 volume and 1 tone (mix) and they are Alpha 500K all round. One thing I have noticed is that the volume pots seem to be type B and the tone pot is a type A. This seems to be wrong to me as everywhere I have read says that your volume pots should be type A (log) and your tone pots should be type B (linear)???

Would there be any reason for it to be wired this way or do you think the original factory guitar tech hadn't had his morning coffee yet? I have also heard that manufacturers haven't always named consistently, so I'd have to check with a multimeter to confirm which is which.

I have the Seymour Duncan wiring diagram that shows it with 250K pots all round but was thinking of changing it up a little. I was thinking of putting a 500K on the neck pick-up and a 250K on the bridge. Is it advisable to have different pots in series? If I could do do this what would the recommended tone (mix) pot be, a 250K or 500K?

Another consideration is disconnecting the neck PU from the tone control and having it volume only and the vol & tone just for the bridge (although I have no clue how to wire that currently :confused:)

Another consideration could be to have a push/pull switch configuration so I could run the PU's in series or in parallel (again @ Seymour Duncan)

Forgot to mention that my pick-ups are by EMC Electronics (Rebadged EMGs?) and sound pretty good, so will be leaving them in.

Discussions most welcome. Thanks!