Tapes on a P ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Biggbass, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Anyone tried tape wounds on a P bass? Am changing strings tonight and thinking of giving it a try. But don't want to twist a good set of tapes if it's a less than desirable result.
    I like them on my old J bass.

2. Danno1985

Danno1985 Supporting Member

If you like them on a J, I don't see why you wouldn't like them on a P. Go for it!

3. Konigstiger22

Konigstiger22

I have them on a fretless P with an 62 Reissue Pickup. Nice and thumpy and dark.

4. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Thumpy and dark sounds good...that's what I'm aiming for. Got flats on my other P so thought I'd throw some variety into the mix and put tapes on the other one. Should I expect any change in output level?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

Tapes are a thing of beauty on a P. IMO they'll work great for most applications unless you're shooting for a really bright sound (think power pop, punk, etc. played with a pick). Never thought much about their output...my guess is the same as light gauge rounds if you're using D'Addario.

7. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

In my limited experience with them...I agree, they seem to be a great combo. I recently put a set on my p-bass and took it to rehearsal last night. After I plugged in, the drummer and lead guitarist/singer started making comments on how they loved the sound. They are begging me to use it this weekend.

I like the sound MUCH better in a band situation than playing at bedroom levels. I agree with the others that they are good for a variety of music, except for aggressive rock/punk/metal or funk/slap sounds. Unless you are going for a different tone.

I think that I like the sound better than flats on a P...and I really like that sound too. The tape wounds replaced D'Addario nickels on my bass and completely changed the tone. The tapes will be staying on that bass for sure.