Tapes with Purple Silk?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Silver Blues, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

I just came from buying some SR2000s at Long & McQuade and was noodling around with a MIM Jazz strung with some really great feeling tapewounds that had purple silk at both ends. What are these? I thought they might be GHS but then I saw that the GHS tapes have red silk? They're not D'addario (blue) or Roto 88s (gold) for sure, which leaves what, La Bella, Fender, and...?

I liked them. Really made a super generic and uninteresting bass real cool real fast.

--Silvie

2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Sounds like LaBella to me.

They are a nice string, but I was warned about possible QC issues. Sure enough, I bought a set and the D string had a significant burr in the winding right in the middle of the string.

Now I use Fender 9120Ms or Roto TruBass 88s for tapes.

3. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Oh, that sucks. The ones I played seemed fine though. How was the tone for you?

--Silvie

4. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Well, they didn't stay on long - I had them on my Warwick Corvette FL. Fast indeed, at least the E, A, and G. Decent low end and mids, but I have to say that I like the Fender 9120s the best. The wraps are almost like rounds as opposed to flats and they give a nice growl to a FL.

The Roto TruBass 88s are much more smooth and flat-like. Big round low end and some treble snap, but not a whole lot in the mid range.

I should add that my LaBella tapes experience may not be typical, but the issue did come up beforehand and was subsequently realized by yours truly.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    La Bella...

If you ever have an issue with a string contact who you purchased it from and they should take care of it for you.

7. pkstone

pkstone Supporting Member

Yeah, those sound like LaBella tapes. I have them on my Steinberger (my second set, even though they tend to last forever).

I really love the variety of sounds I get out of them -- they seem so responsive to minor changes in touch. I also love they way they feel under my fingers. No quality issues with either of my sets.

8. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Well, I had a set of GHS Precision Flats with purple silk, so my guess is GHS.

9. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

That was my train of thought too, but no the GHS have red silk.

--Silvie

10. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

My GHS tapes have red silk.