Tapewounds on Ric or J bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Coolhandjjl, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

I have a set of Roto RS88 Tapewounds that came fresh in box with a used bass I bought. I've read that these can create a hollow woody sound, probably as close to a double bass as possible on an electric bass. True?

Anyway, I have a Ric 4003s with a Toaster and a Re-Issue Horseshoe pup, and a Hamer Cruise with the stock SD SJB-1 Vintage pups. Lots of differences between these basses, maple bass with neck through vs alder with bolt on neck, different pups and pup placement, etc,. etc.

I can certainly try the strings on both, but before I dedicate lots of time stringing and re-stringing, trying to remember which one sounded which way, any bets on which will be the more double bass sounding? I was planing to try some rock-a-billy, Link Wray, etc., type of music.

2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I have the 88's on two of my basses. One set is on my Deluxe Jazz and the other on my Dano.

I like them on both.
    I do not think I would try them on a Ric though.
    They have a lot less tension then flats.
    You can wamp on them because the feel is very stretchy.
    They give you a DB "like" tone but dont expect them to turn your Jazz into a Shen.

3. newbold

newbold

Loved em on my J-Bass.

4. Marton

Marton

Tapewounds on a Ric worked for Paul McCartney.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

I ordered a set of Pyramid Golds from Strings and Beyond. Great price with free shipping. I strung my Ric 4003s with the Pyramid Gold on E and the Roto Tapewound on A. To be honest, it was hard to tell the diff. Both had a nice vintage thunk with woody hollowness. The Rotos have an unusual gauge 115/100/75/65, and I really didn't want to file out the nut slots, so back in the drawer they will go. The Ric fully strung with the Pyramids really sounded sweet! But so did the Fender 9050CLs that were on it previously. The 9050s do speak with authority! If I had another Ric, I'd have one strung with the 9050s and another with the Pyramids. But I don't, so I moved the Pyramids to one of my Hamer Cruise Basses that had Chromes on it, and the Pyramids sound great on that one as well. They have even more thunky attack. I could definitely see having three basses with flats. Fender 9050s, Pyramid Golds, and D'Addario Chromes! Who would have thought flats could be back in vogue?

My main Ric still has DR LoRider steels. There's something about the Ric growl with steel rounds that makes it my go-to bass. Probably because my roots are in Chris Squire, Roger Glover, etc.

7. CJAtheBassman

CJAtheBassman

I tried D'Addario tapewounds on my Squier Standard Jazz Bass once and while I liked the tone, their sound was too thin for my purposes.
    I tried Fender tapewounds on my Ibanez AEB5E acoustic bass and also liked them, but they made a weird sound if you plucked too hard (this is due to them being roundwounds with nylon as opposed to D'Addario's being flatwounds with nylon). Later, I took the D'Addarios off of my Jazz Bass, put them on the acoustic bass and the sound on the acoustic improved greatly.
    I currently plan on trying D'Addario's tapewounds on my recently acquired Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass soon (however, I will be keeping the set of Chromes and nickel wounds that I currently have in case I am not satisfied with the sound)

8. CapnSev

CapnSev

^

FYI, all tapes are rounds under the tape, with the exception of Rotosounds.

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

10. SB Dog

SB Dog

I temporarily installed RS 88s on one of my 4001C64 basses.

I trimmed the nylon back on the only string that would not fit into the nut (E). I knew this would most likely hinder that string, but I was not sure I wanted to have the nut filed until I heard how they sounded.

The strings sounded phenominal!! The tone was unreal.

I took the bass to the "Twelfth Fret" in Portland, and had them set it up with a new set of RS 88's.

It really sounds great.

I kept the old set,

11. winterburn69

winterburn69

RotoSound 88's on a Rick AND a Jazz worked quite well for McCartney. Abbey Road tone has always been my favorite tone of his.