Tapewounds or Low Tension FLatwounds???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RambleOn, Nov 3, 2012.

1. RambleOn

RambleOn

I play a Fender P/J strung with Fender 9050 Flatwounds.
    I like the sound but their relatively high tension is causing me difficulties lately (I suffered an injury to my left hand a few months ago).
    A buddy of mine also has a P/J and he has it strung with GHS Tapewounds, the other day I played with it and had NO issues! The low tension of the Tapes allowed me play without applying lots of pressure, and the sound was wonderful. They still had some thump (not as much as Steel flats) but were more...hmmm...musical?? I was pleasantly surprised.
    So, I'm considering changing to some lower tension Flats, I´m considering DR Legend Flats or TI Flats since I've read they are probably the lowest tension flats around...or possibly going to the GHS Tapes.
    I live in Spain and none of the local shops carry these strings so it will be too expensive to order and try them all.

For those of you who have experience with those strings:
    1. How do they compare tension wise to the GHS Tapes?
    2. How do they compare sound wise to the GHS Tapes?
    I read the TI's are very different compared to other Flats, how do the compare to the GHS Tapes? The DR seem to be closer to conventional flats....
    Thanks for your help.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    T-I Jazz Flats are going to be more flexible and lower tension than the tapewounds.

If you have already played the tapes and like them, you will probably only end up liking them more once you have your own.

There are a few other Low Tension flats availalbe...

T-i Jazz Flats
    La Bella Extra Light Deep Talkin' Flats
    Sadowsky 40-100 Flats
    DR are fairly flexible but I wouldn't call them low-tension

Tapewounds are more flexible than low tension. They are rounds wrapped in tape.

Another option you can look at is a light gauge of Half-Rounds. They have the flexibility of rounds with the tonal characteristics of flats and eventually feel as smooth as flats.

3. RambleOn

RambleOn

Sound wise how do the TI or DR's compare to the GHS Tapes?
    I've read the TI's are more Mid focused, the Tapes seem to have more mids than the 9050s so I may like the Tis, I'm curious to understand if they have a similar orientation?
    I've also read the DR have more midrange than most flats but are quite big and thumpy on the bottom. More than the tapes?

4. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

I have D'Addario Tapes on my 5-string Jazz type. They certainly have a warm sound, with plenty of definition and a little sparkle on top when needed. Palm-mute and they sound as close to an upright as an electric can, IMO. I love 'em. Tension is fantastic. Try 'em out!

5. Register to disable this ad