1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tapewounds strings.....on which bass?? HELP!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MaGrass, Sep 27, 2013.

1. MaGrass

MaGrass

Hi there,

I am in front of this dilemma which is bugging my mind since few days by now...

I have bought a set of Labella's tapewounds which is due to knock my door. I had chance of trying these type of strings briefly for just one performance and i really liked them.

Now i'd like to know what you guys suggest,

Should i put these on:

A) A musicman stingray

B) A Telecaster Fender bass from 60s

C) A Jap Jazz bass with active preamp and modded pups?

My clue is whether if these strings will sound better on an active circuitry like the one on the stingray and J bass or work just right on the passive single coil of a vintage bass?

maybe your word is gonna save me some hours of trial...

At the moment my intention is to put these tapewounds on the stingray.
    The preamp is like the ones on the pre ernie but the actual bass is from 98...roars like a M*******

Let me know!!

Cheers
  2. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I've only had experience with piezo PUPs. Nylon tape would seem to electrically isolate the strings, so if you are playing in a noisey environment with magnetic PUPs and poor shielding, they might add to EM noise.
  3. MaGrass

MaGrass

so...in terms of no background noise, which bass would be the good one? the active or the passive? Sorry for being so thick haha
  4. Phalex

I'm no help there. I'd love them on my P, but the stages I play on...... No way.
  5. MaGrass

MaGrass

thats what i keep asking myself....stingray or tele.

the Tele is essentially a P bass..
  6. MaGrass

MaGrass

i ve heard those strings do really good on P's
  7. MD

MD

^^^
    They do well on my old P.

Put'em on the bass you play the most.
  8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Split the set up and put one labella flatwound string on each of your basses then you not only get to try the flats on all of your basses you also get to compare flats vs rounds on all of your basses.
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Myth. Got that you might have experienced some noise but doubt that is was exclusively the stings. Reason ?

The core of the string goes around the brass doughnut on the bridge end of the string. Brass is conductive, the core is conductive, the brass pulls against the bridge - on a top load bridge anyway. There is your contact.

On a string through setup, maybe tapes are contra-indicated... Unless one wants to ground all the ferrules - which sounds like a PITA at best to me...

I run D'Addario tapes on my Barker Brio. I use the Graphtech/Hipshot piezo bridge blended with the split P mag pickup. No noise from that bass even in the crusty tavern...

If it were me I think would try the tele, then maybe the J and avoid the ray ... I prefer tapes on my piezo basses, steel on the exclusively mag basses...
  10. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Exactly my thoughts - they are grounded through the bridge, like all strings.

The only problem is if there is some improper wiring, grounding or shielding issue where the bass gets quieter when you touch the strings. This will not happen with tapes.
  11. beate_r

beate_r

Although i like them very much on most of my other instruments, I do not like them at all (well, actually Daddario Black Nylons) on my all maple fretless with Häussel MM-Pickup in Stingray position. On that bass i'll probably go back to TI flats or to SIT silencers.
  12. Phalex

The strings are wrapped with a dielectric material.

They plop my fat ass down with a light maybe 3 feet away from me. They dim the light, my P-bass hums. If I touch the metal strings, it mitigates that a lot. It would have zero effect if I had nylons on my P.

Can it still be a myth when I've experienced the phenomena on a regular basis? Or is 4mal just not familiar with the experience?
  13. MaGrass

MaGrass

Ha! That's the way forward!! Heavy tip dude, thanks! Didn't think of this honestly... :)
  14. MaGrass

MaGrass

I really hope that the trials I'm gonna do are gonna keep me convinced of putting these tapes on my black stingray, don't ask me why but I am feeling so obsessed in trying them on it. How similiar is the sound and build of your fretless compared to a stingray?

Woods and shapes can tweak the sound a lot but I'll take it as a warning, maybe the best for a stingray doesn't lie within tapewound strings.

I must say that steel flats make a lot of justice to it tho, much better than rounds
    ..I hate the clankiness of the stingray, when it sizzles it ain't a bass no more in my opinion and the rounds make it sound just like a bass guitar on steroids!!!
  15. beate_r

beate_r

Hard to tell, but the basic characteristics are there. It is just a (very good) passive pickup on a very stiff basis. Last night i did the step back to the TI flats. The biggest difference is the stronger mid response and the "overall tighter" sound. The Daddarios were deeper and lacking mids too strong. (They are audibly thin pure steel rounds damped by the nylon layer.)

After playing around with a friend's Sting Ray I would actually expect something similar for *Daddario* black nylons.
    But again, care must be taken to conclude from one brand of black nylons to another - the differences between those i know are huge.

Please take this as a warning and be prepared to put the strings on another bass. (I will put mine on my Vester Witch, a simple PJ bass).

BTW: i can well imagine using Pyramid black nylons on that bass - but these are not available as a 5 string set.
  16. MaGrass

MaGrass

Good stuff, thanks for the tip! :) I don't need a 5 string set btw, im a 4 strings Big fan...

I'll give a try to those pyramids, Never had the chance and Everybody is raving bout them... next investment probably!
  17. beate_r

beate_r

You are aware that these strings have a very "woody" tone and a pretty short sustain? Actually the only strings i know which give the sound a (little) bit of the touch of an upright. That's what i love them for - i currently use them on a short scale Epi EB-3 with a modified sidewinder.
  18. Wesley R

Wesley R

My use of Tape wound strings ran from 1967 through 2003. I cannot remember a hum issue. Labella’s from 1967-1980 on an off brand dual humbucker solid body, an off brand dual pup semi-hollow, a 1972 fretless P, a 1971 P, and an Ibanez Artist(?). From 1980-2003 GHS’s on a 1971 P, and primarily a Guild JS BII. My concept was to string my new Ibanez SR500PB with them, but I caved into the round wound - Elixer crowd.

I have no experience or knowledge of the Stingray, yet feel relatively safe in saying the Telecaster bass would be a good place to start.

YMMV, as I am an old gent.
  19. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

20. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

I have the La Bella black tape wounds on a five string active jazz bass and they sound great even after 8 years of playing without a change in feel or tone. No hum here and I string thru the body.
    I haven't tried them on my stingrays, I use DR Black Beauties on those basses.

I have compared the La Bella's to Roto tapes and find the La Bella's to be more flexible, more woody tone, and slightly darker in tone.

There is also a new La Bella white tape wound (actually its clear tape so it looks like a standard steel string) and its supposed to be a little brighter sounding I think, but I haven't tried them yet.