Tapping? How to?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fender099, Jan 7, 2013.

1. fender099

fender099

Hi all, I am encountering tapping in many vids these days, can someone tell me what it is and how to do it?
  2. miiitch

miiitch

uh .. you tap a string with your fingers, it touches the fret and makes a sound.

low action and not too heavy strings recommended
  3. AaronMB

AaronMB

It's exactly what you're seeing in the videos: the fretting hand and the plucking/picking hand work together to tap out notes - pressing hard enough on the fingerboard, obviously.

Basically, if you watch carefully, the musician will sound a note by tapping (and holding) with a fretting hand/finger; then as that note is usually being held, the other hand/finger will hit a second note that is appropriate for whatever is being played. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. There's no secret formula - the player kind of needs to know what they're playing to make it sound good. Knowing your fingerboard, scales and etc, helps immensely - just like every exercise/technique on the guitar. Practice! :)

I just quickly searched YouTube (don't forget Google): "how to tap bass." There seem to be lots of hits. Try some of them.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Check out You Tube videos of Grant Stinnett.
    He has some good examples.
    I studied with him.
    Low action on your strings is helpful.
  5. fender099

fender099

Ok, I have really heavy strings and not very low action, that's why it's not working.
  6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    MrLenny, I just checked out Grant Stinett.
    Wow!! Made me want to burn my bass!! That guy is unreal. Of course, he's jamming with Michael Manring. That's no small feat.
  7. Kubicki440

Kubicki440

I use the .045 to .100 gauge sets. Seems to work best for me for tapping and working on some Stu Hamm pieces.

I will have to watch that video.
  8. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

9. ZeroSymbolic

ZeroSymbolic

There is a guy named Scott Devine, who I think is even a user here. He had a great tapping lesson but I can't find it right now. You might PM him about it.
  10. Bayonet

Bayonet

I do a lot of tapping,my string gauge is .35 to .90 or 95 i don't remember..
    I do have really low action.. when i'm tapping i usually think of scales and chords,i have a video online but nothing instructional tbh.
    What i can say to help you is that you should work on knowing your fretboard and scales/chords as that can help immensily with note choices! :)
    Hope i helped,also excuse me for my not-so-good english,not a native speaker :p