1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tapping your foot when you play

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by azian32, Dec 8, 2013.

1. azian32

azian32

Hey Tb'ers!!

So i have a question for you all! Do you have to tap your foot when you play bass? When i play bass i love to spin my head in a small circle or move my head/shoulders, just ride the music with my mind and keep the groove in my fingers.

The reason i ask this is because my bass teach is making me tap my foot when i play... now im ok with trying new things and in the end if i can master the co-ordination it will probably benefit in the long run. But the thing is, i always stuff up when i tap my foot... i can't get the co-ordination happening or if i do instead of enjoying the music i get fixated on the timing. where as if i play and bop my head i can play in time but i just dont think about timing... i just enjoy the music.

What do you guys do and prefer? I prefer using my head, it leaves the rest of my body to do whatever it likes... i also find i can control articulation better if i move my head and makes my feel of music a bit more sufisticated. (if that makes sense).

Thanks Tb'ers
  2. ToadWarrior

ToadWarrior

Really?

No reason you shouldn't be able to tap a straight beat while playing. Some times my foot will get tripped up if I'm playing something a little odd, but tapping my foot is essential to keep a real solid and consistent pulse for me.

I mean I guess theres no real difference with swaying or head bobbing though
  3. cnltb

cnltb

No.
    I just Concentrate, play and listen to what goes on around me.
  4. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

I can think of two reasons a teacher would suggest you tap your foot.

1. He does it and thinks that since he does it, everybody should do it
    2. He's noticed some rhythm / time-keeping issues with your playing and wants to resolve it.

You oughta ask him if either of these is the issue.

To answer the OP as it was asked.....sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Depends on what we are playing and what my role in the song is. Sometimes I'm moving around too much to do any foot-tapping. I concentrate on moving within the structure of the rhythm (some often refer to this as "dancing" :D ;) ). Sometimes I'm at the mic or in a stationary position. If I am not moving, I'm tapping.
  5. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

I never done the foot tapping thing, it just never felt natural to me, besides I don't stand in one position on the stage, I'm always moving around so tapping wouldn't be very practical.
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Depends on the song. If it is one that is complicated and has a lot of stops and starts, I will sometimes tap my foot, otherwise, I don't. I've been told by many people that I have a great sense of timing so it really has never been an issue for me.
  7. Salamenster

Salamenster

I used to do that, now I don't, unless it has a REALLY heavy beat, like heavy disco/funk and stuff.
  8. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

If you want to complement your current body movements and really feel the groove.....tap your foot on beats 2 and 4. It will slow down any tendency to rush and locks you into the drummers snare. You will relax and your lines will flow better. When you listen to songs without your bass practice it. You will see what I mean.
  9. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

Yep, but I am a recovering drum addict!

It helps, especially with a syncopated bass line.

Dan K.
  10. Santraginus

Santraginus

Tapping that foot was the first thing I was taught by my teacher. It was difficult at first, but after a couple of hours it became second nature. Now I can't play without tapping my foot, or moving to the rhythm. If found that it helps with staying in the pocket.
    My drummer (!!!) only moves his hands and feet - but his body does not move to the pace of the music. He's is one of those guys who constantly have to fight to keep their time. So there's even more for me to do in terms of keeping everything together.
  11. LordRyan

LordRyan

Being able to play a relatively complex part while tapping your foot perfectly on beat is a good basic timekeeping skill. Many players don't really count time and get by quite well playing by feel but you can greatly improve your understanding of where notes fall rhythmically by mastering foot tapping. Even if you choose not to do it on stage just having the capability has a subliminal effect that will help you play more precisely.
  12. wvbass

wvbass

If you can't find the one with your foot, you are in trouble.
  13. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

I tap my foot when I play while sitting, sometimes eighths, sometimes sixteenths. But I was born a drummer who was weaned on Bonham.

Sixteenths looks funny, as though I need to drain it.
  14. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

moved to technique
  15. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

Whenever I play anything in 5/4 or 7/4, you better believe I tap my foot.
  16. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    Use a metronome and enjoy yourself.....

:bassist:

I only tap my foot when I'm recording......
  17. Tupac

Tupac

I tend to play most in the pocket when I sway. My feet are completely stationary, I just kind of bob slightly and move side to side without losing my foot balance. It's the same thing that Flea does.

Tapping my foot does not help me at all. When I tap it while just listening to music I can tell it's way out of time.
  18. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

No need to tap your foot or bob your head or move your body or whatever.

To me this is where reading and singing rythm may help and once you know by heart the part you have to play, counting in your head may be the only thing you need.

I think body movement is nice when you have to dance to make dance music otherwise I don't think it is a necessity
  19. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

I think tapping your foot or having a time keeping appendage is essential to having good time. It takes practice, especially when you're fingers are playing triplets etc, etc.

A friend of mine came up with this exercise:

Two - Three metronomes, set at different BPM all playing at once. Practice tapping your foot to just one of them. This really helped improve my timing.
  20. azian32

azian32

Yeah I'm very influenced by flea and when I taught myself to play I always kept the groove in my fingers and just felt the music.

I'll keep with the foot tapping because I know I have a few rhythm problems so it will only perfect me as a bass player.

Thanks tbers it's good to know I'm not the only one out there who doesn't like tapping the foot.