Tascam DP-008 vs Zoom R8

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by srayb, Jan 11, 2013.

1. srayb

srayb

I've been using a Boss Micro BR for the past year or so, and although it's a very good unit, I am looking for something a bit easier to use. I originally planned to get the Tascam DP-008, then found the Zoom R8. The Zoom has more functions (rhythms, effects, etc.), which I do not need, so to compare these units on just their recording/eqing/mixing abilities, I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experiences with either or both, including:

1. Ease of use for recording/overdubbing, etc.
    2. Quality of each unit's built-in mics
    3. Functionality of EQ section
    4. Quality of built-in reverb
    5. Intuitiveness of each unit's menus
    6. Any other features I might want to know about

Most of my recording would be from my bass amp DI-output, although I might want to use the built-in mics for recording classical/acoustic guitar as well.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

2. ryevick

ryevick

Don't you just love all the replies you're getting :rollno: I am looking at these 2 as well... there is also the new Tascam DP-008EX which also includes effects :D

3. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

4. srayb

srayb

I actually got the Zoom R8. Really happy with it too! The effects are great and it's fairly easy to get going on. Now I just need to have more time available to use it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DirkP

DirkP

I've tried different 8-track recorders and I've planned to buy the boss. But I didn't want to make a mistake I've made before: to look just for the features and not for the ease of use.

So I made a clear decision for the Zoom.
    And for the price it's really spectacular.
    Not just the features but for the ease of use.
    The overall audio-quality is convincing, too.
    It's still not as easy to use as a looper, but it gets close.

If I don't record other musicians and just care for the technical side of recording it's different. If I'm making music and have a bass around my shoulder or on my knees I want to have as less to do with the technical side of recording as possible.
    The Boss is one of these units with a trillion submenues, small and multifunctional knobs. It's due to it's size and because the customers want all these features, but I know it's one of these units I use once or twice, plan to use it more often, but then it just collects dust 'cause I'm too lazy to set it up.

I've never tried the built-in microphones 'cause I have to many good separat microphones.
    Dirk

7. BassedInSpace

BassedInSpace

I don't think the Tascam DP-008 has EQ, I have the DP-004 and the mics are great for recording jams or rehearsals, we used to use a SM58 or an AKG3000B to record but the built in stereo mics sound much better when placed in a good spot. The DP-004 is selling for $99 now if you don't need eq or reverb.
    I still have to bounce out the audio and compress in my audio software to burn a cd though but it's a great simple unit.

8. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

I have the DP-008 and love it. It does have eq and several different reverbs which aren't bad. I use it to record tracks and then dump the .WAVs into Logic.

But it functions well as a standalone unit. It sounds great and is built well.