1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tascam DP-008 vs Zoom R8

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by srayb, Jan 11, 2013.

1. srayb

srayb

I've been using a Boss Micro BR for the past year or so, and although it's a very good unit, I am looking for something a bit easier to use. I originally planned to get the Tascam DP-008, then found the Zoom R8. The Zoom has more functions (rhythms, effects, etc.), which I do not need, so to compare these units on just their recording/eqing/mixing abilities, I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experiences with either or both, including:

1. Ease of use for recording/overdubbing, etc.
    2. Quality of each unit's built-in mics
    3. Functionality of EQ section
    4. Quality of built-in reverb
    5. Intuitiveness of each unit's menus
    6. Any other features I might want to know about

Most of my recording would be from my bass amp DI-output, although I might want to use the built-in mics for recording classical/acoustic guitar as well.

Many thanks in advance for any help!
  2. ryevick

ryevick

Don't you just love all the replies you're getting :rollno: I am looking at these 2 as well... there is also the new Tascam DP-008EX which also includes effects :D
  3. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Subscribed.
  4. srayb

srayb

I actually got the Zoom R8. Really happy with it too! The effects are great and it's fairly easy to get going on. Now I just need to have more time available to use it.
  5. DirkP

DirkP

I've tried different 8-track recorders and I've planned to buy the boss. But I didn't want to make a mistake I've made before: to look just for the features and not for the ease of use.

So I made a clear decision for the Zoom.
    And for the price it's really spectacular.
    Not just the features but for the ease of use.
    The overall audio-quality is convincing, too.
    It's still not as easy to use as a looper, but it gets close.

If I don't record other musicians and just care for the technical side of recording it's different. If I'm making music and have a bass around my shoulder or on my knees I want to have as less to do with the technical side of recording as possible.
    The Boss is one of these units with a trillion submenues, small and multifunctional knobs. It's due to it's size and because the customers want all these features, but I know it's one of these units I use once or twice, plan to use it more often, but then it just collects dust 'cause I'm too lazy to set it up.

I've never tried the built-in microphones 'cause I have to many good separat microphones.
    Dirk
  6. BassedInSpace

BassedInSpace

I don't think the Tascam DP-008 has EQ, I have the DP-004 and the mics are great for recording jams or rehearsals, we used to use a SM58 or an AKG3000B to record but the built in stereo mics sound much better when placed in a good spot. The DP-004 is selling for $99 now if you don't need eq or reverb.
    I still have to bounce out the audio and compress in my audio software to burn a cd though but it's a great simple unit.
  7. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

I have the DP-008 and love it. It does have eq and several different reverbs which aren't bad. I use it to record tracks and then dump the .WAVs into Logic.

But it functions well as a standalone unit. It sounds great and is built well.