1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

TASCAM DP-008EX Pocket Studio $99 at MF today!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Landy67, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Landy67

Landy67 Gold Supporting Member

I don't know if anyone is looking for something like this, but I was checking these out a year ago and they were $350. I ended up going with the Boss version of the same thing, and I've stopped using my computer for recording, I just use it for editing later.

Pocket Studio

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

I bagged one of these, with the TM-78 condenser microphone included.

[​IMG]

If you got one as SDOTD and they didn't include the microphone, call and tell them that this Tascam promotional "free gift" was included in the cart and should have been shipped with the unit. They'll send it. I had a strong suspicion they'd try to stiff the SDOTD buyers on the microphone, though Tascam had it included through 1/31, and they tried it on with me, but a call set it right. It's on its way. ;)

The weird thing about this unit is that Tascam doesn't include the 5VDC adapter, which is just brainless. Generic replacements are ~$7, shipped, on eBay. Neither do they include rechargeable batteries. On a $400 unit, this seems extraordinarily odd, especially with something that's supplying phantom power.

There's a bunch of long Tascam deals lately. Right after the recorder, the SDOTD was a twofer of the TH-02 closed-back headphones. These get rave reviews in the under-$100 cans category, so I figured for $15 a pop for vocal recording I'd give them a try. They are surprisingly nice.

Amazon has the Tascam TM-PC1-2 microphone paired box set For $41.92, which is just a couple of bucks more than I was going to pay for a pair of Chinese shockmounts and screens for my Oktava MC-012 set alone off eBay. The TM-PC1 is actually a 25mm LDC.

Anyway, the DP-008EX is a far more sophisticated unit than I expected and I hope I can get it figured out. I got it for scratchpadding when I didn't feel like firing up the studio, but it looks like a boy could do a pretty nice finished product with one if he finessed all the options inside this thing.