Tascam GB-10 Review

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Drunk Heffalump, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Drunk Heffalump

Drunk Heffalump Tone that I have. Skill? Oh, that? Well....

Hey first review, hope it's in the right spot.

I recently picked up a Tascam GB-10 Guitar and Bass trainer. I ended up with this as I'd broke my earlier mode the MP-BT1, first piece of gear I've ever broke myself (yeah yeah boo hoo) that said it's a handy little gadget if I do say so.
    In essence you just load your MP3's on board, plug in, pick a song and play along thru headphones. They've seriously upgraded the interface since the last one as most of the common menu items are now available as buttons on the workface. So no more hunting about in the sub menus.

It comes with a metronome, a tuner, a speed control, the ability to record your own ideas which is a new feature, a key control, some minor effects and the best thing, a loop control. The metronome and tuner are self explanatory, however here's the things I find helpful when breaking down the truly heavy stuff.

The loop function bassically instals a start point bookmark, you wait till the impossible to get passage ends and press again. It will now endlessly loop said passage until you press again and the song resumes, should the passage be mighty quick you can then adjust the speed, via that control and keep it in key as required. When it gets to the hard stuff, this makes it easy to break it down, sometimes you get it fairly quick and other times it's hunt and peck, but at the end of the day you will get it This one so far seems to keep that up far better than the earlier model.

It's really easy to use, BTW, runs either on batteries, 2 AA's or via a USB port.

Now I know what some of you are thinking and yes you can do a lot of that stuff via Quicktime or other type software, you are however on a short leash and tied to your computer, this I can take anywhere I'm inspired to go. The other part that I'm currently finding inspiring is once those headphones go on I can play along for hours, and breaking down new material is once again fun, mainly cuz it's just so easy with this unit. And if I'm in front of the computer, well the surfing starts, I end up here, and the practice ends. This unit provides zero distractions and I actually look forward to practicing...:eek:

The other thing I've found is that I'm far more willing to tackle the job myself rather than hoping the tab is right, and there are tunes out there that're tough as hell to play and no tab exists, like say Battlescar or at least it wasn't the last time I bothered to look. But the biggest joy I have with this is the chance to play the tunes the band never would, so I can get all my heavy prog and speed metal out of my system.

If you're in the market for something to help you out on the tougher tunes give this unit some consideration, it's not too pricy $150 average north of the border, and something you'll find very handy.

:D
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

Good review!
  3. Geri O

Geri O

Great review and I concur completely with your findings. What I was looking for, and the need that the GB filled very nicely was being able to take my practice rig to work or my girlfriend's house (most every evening) in a nice and tidy package.

I have a couple of minor issues with the GB, and I'm certain that the price would go up and/or battery life would suffer if they were addressed. I wish the display were backlit, and I wish the GB would play more file types. I have to convert M4A files and AAC files to MP3 before I can upload them to the GB, which is not a terribly big deal with Audacity. And be sure to turn on the auto power down feature. I wish it were turned on by default, and it took 3 sets of AAs before I realized that the GB had the option.

Other than that, this is a great practice tool. I heartily recommend it!

Geri O
  4. Drunk Heffalump

Drunk Heffalump Tone that I have. Skill? Oh, that? Well....

Your absolutely right I overlooked the back light from earlier models.
    I miss it but the trade was the easier to navigate browse feature.

:D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

7. RoadRanger

8. ZenG

ZenG

Couple of questions.....

Is there an A/C powerpack available for the GB10....?

and also ...if you want to load music from the computer (such as YouTube ) onto the GB10's SD card.....how hard is that....does everything you listen to on the comp have to be converted to MP3?

If yes.......what do you need to be able to convert?

Any simple software available?

I know there are "Youtube to Mp3"' freeby converters on the net.......what's a good one in terms of sound quality and no hidden Trojans or viruses?
  9. RoadRanger

I'm sure there is.
    I use this converter:
    http://www.freemake.com/free_audio_converter/
    They also have a YouTube audio ripper:
    http://www.freemake.com/free_youtube_converter
  10. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

I have ordered one of these from Amazon with gift card money. I was wondering when using this as a recording device playing along with tracks, is it possible to adjust the volume of your bass on the track?