TASCAM TG-7 Tuner $12.99

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by Bongolation, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Backordered until 9 May.
  3. Bongolation

Bongolation

In a typical MF fake-out, my backordered TG-7s arrived today.

While I wouldn't have sprung for the $80 MSRP or even the current $60 MF price, at $12.99 this is a remarkable piece.

Dauntingly full-featured, this is the easiest to use of the dozen or more different tuners I have around the house and studio, inferior illuminated visibility and ruggedness aside, this is a lot easier to actually tune with than my Pitchblack, a tuner that people seem to hold in high regard here for some mysterious reason.

I suspect that the TG-7 is a bit over-aggressively damped, a feature that people who know no better will probably find wonderful. "It tracks so WELL!" :rollno:

My only serious beef with the unit is the minuscule slide switches on the back that power-up and switch backlighting off/on, and there's no AC adapter jack.
    [​IMG]
    [Note this is just slightly smaller than actual size.]

Stepping on this one time looks like it would reduce the unit to non-working pile of dozens of sharp pieces.

But...for $13, it's a very nice unit for pampered home use.
  4. Bongolation

Bongolation

These are back today (26 April) at the same price.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. searchfunction

searchfunction Supporting Member

Looks like expected ship date is 5/30?
  7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

I ordered 2 today and got shipping info already. Should have it next week
  8. HighPockets

HighPockets

9. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

I ordered one, but not for the tuner.

I’ve been kinda looking for a metronome that’s more visual for the drummer (one of whom already wears a headset mic and doesn't want more stuff on his head), and although they’re not clear how significant the visual is, at that price, I thought it was worth the chance.
  10. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

at least one review says won't tune a low B.

last several SDOTDs I've googled, gave average to poor reviews of the products.
  11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I ordered two (for my sons) as soon as I saw the Stupid Deal of the Day. Looked like a fantastic deal for the price. After I ordered them, I saw a lot of the negative comments. But like Bongolation said back in April, a steal of a deal for gentle home use.
  12. INTP

INTP

If a tuner that has trouble with the low B, the harmonic at the 12th fret should work.

I ordered a couple, one as a spare for me, and one for my son.

But I agree, the SDOTD's are more miss than hit, and not just lately.
  13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

For 13 bucks shipped I couldn't resist. My current tuner looks like something from the Flinstones so for home use this should
    be ok.
  14. Bongolation

Bongolation

:rollno: Not this again...

I won't go into my usual long technical disquisition about how people making statements like that have no idea of how tuners actually work (and few on gear forums do), but the problem is with the bass, not the tuner.

If your B or E "won't track" on a given tuner but will on another, it's not because it's better, but merely that it artificially and arbitrarily fakes and shows a stable input signal that simply doesn't exist.

If your string is throwing a 20- or 30-cent wow, no tuner in the world is going to make you ever be in tune.

"Garbage in, garbage out." You should watch your bass's output on a 'scope sometime. It's a real eye-opener.

Tuners are rated by users on how well they lie, mostly.

Tuners damp and average trash inputs to satisfy the need of players with no ears for practical pitch to deludedly believe they're "in tune," the very concept of which is both controversial and essentially impossible with guitars and basses in actual practice.

This tuner is OK, though fragile and awkward to use and seems to have slow damping calculation (but this may be a low-battery problem -- I hate devices that run on two AAA batteries :mad:). If you're using it for bass and have "tracking problems" [sic], don't use the FINE setting (likewise on any tuner with the option) and tune from harmonics.

Then -- always -- adjust to practical pitch by ear if necessary.