1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

tascam trainer

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jus_bass, Oct 14, 2013.

1. jus_bass

jus_bass

Hey guys can I get some advice on which model tascam to buy as a bassist. I'm wondering if to get the BG -10 or the CD BT2.
    WHATS THE BETTER ONE FOR ME.

2. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

It all depends. Do you have more CDs or are you more digital (MP3) by nature? That would be the determining factor.

3. Batmensch

Batmensch

I use the CD-BT2 because I have only CD's. I like using it with the CDs that come with instruction books as there are no books (as far as I know) that use MP3s.

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

moved to general instruction

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Or you could use a good DAW (software) which does much more.

7. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Disclosures:
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    The GB-10 and the CD GT series are good work tools, although Tascam tweeked the CD series with a few 'up-dated models, so be carefull what you buy.

I have used them all and I find the GT-10 to be my favourite to use.
    You have choices to make, so do you burn CDs to MP3s or make MP3s from Cds? At some point this will be an issue(or a factor) in what you choose to learn, I know as I have both but I still make MP3s so I can use the GB-10.

So here is my reasoning for why I favour MP3 over CD.

I am a pro player and teacher so I am always on the move, so MP3s are easier to organise and listen to.
    I can make play lists and listen to what I am going to learn before I tackle it.
    I can up-load playlists or lessons for students to it. I can do this via E-mail if need be by sending though files.
    I use re-chargeable batteries when out, being slim it fits in my jacket pocket, I always have batteries on charge because of the number of products that I use need them.
    When not on batteries I run it of the USB lead via my laptop of a USB mains adapter....lot less 'clumpy' than a transformer plug.
    I monitor it through ear buds if walking about or headphones if riding in a vehicle, flying, traveling on the road etc, if I am driving I plug it into the vehicles sound system.
    I get sent a lot of material via E-mail, or as data, so I use a laptop to download/convert and just organise it and load it on to SD cards for ease of use.
    This allows me to work on various projects without changing CDs all the time.
    Being slim and portable I can use an elastic band and put it on my strap, connect it up with a short jump lead, plug in headphones and walk about as I practice, so I am not sat there....I have the freedom to walkabout.

Just a few of my reasons for why I use the GB-10 more over my CD one, but both are great tools to have. :)

8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have had an older CD trainer and GB-10. The CD trainer worked well but I didn't like having to change cds every time I wanted to work on a different song. The GB-10 was ok until I dropped it and it no longer worked. About a year ago I purchased GT-R1. I like it better than any of the others. It has a built in tuner, different amp modeling sounds, effects, ability to create a playlist and you can loop part of song so you can work on the more difficult parts without having to play the entire song over. You can also speed up or slow down the song with changing the pitch or change pitch without changing speed.

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

I have had my Tascam BT MP3 version for 4 years.
    Like Fergie said, it fits in my pocket, has no moving parts.
    It's the best bass gadget I ever bought. I would replace it
    instantly if it dies.

10. nortonrider

nortonrider

I have an old CD version Bass Trainer, I used it all of the time.

I just plug it into my computer (via the line in jack) and play along with
    MP3's, youtube videos, etc...........

11. estringnyc

estringnyc Supporting Member

I have both. I love the size and convenience of the MP3. Two cons, if you have a mp4 file, you have to convert it to mp3 (in iTunes) or it won't play it which I have to do more and more. Also the CD version has more options in terms of boosting the bass lines in the original track-the MP3 doesn't allow you to boost the bass lines from the original file (unless I'm missing something).

12. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

I always upload the cd onto iTunes then convert the files to mp3, and then load them onto the trainer. I did it with a couple of Ed Friedland books with great success.

13. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Disclosures:
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    I will add that these days file conversion is a pretty standard thing, no record company releases formats that are not MP3 based. I personally have all my music saved as WAV files and convert from there to MP3. The quality of the MP3 will affect how it sounds and how much space it will take up.
    You can have lots of small files, but with reduced quality, or larger ones with a top quality sound. This affects how well they can be EQ'd and how well the slow down/change key, loop etc quality wise.

My CD one is more for ease when students bring in CDs they have been listening to and we can reference them fast without wasting time waiting for conversions or burning....either option is a good one and better than none. :)

14. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

+1

15. brownie_bass

brownie_bass [this space for sale, cheap]

I know the OP asked to compare two specific gadgets, but I feel like someone should at least mention that there are smartphone apps that do much of what the Tascam Trainers do, at a fraction of the price, with the added bonus of having direct access to the entire music library in your pocket at all times.

The apps don't do everything the Tascam can do, of course - e.g. you can't easily use your smartphone as a headphone amp as you can with the Tascam, and you can't line-in youtube videos as nortonrider suggested. But they still replicate an awful lot of the functionality.

I'm partial to Anytune, personally.

16. Marilyn

Marilyn

I have the GB-10 and I love it. Very user-friendly. I also use it for saxophone practice.

17. jus_bass

jus_bass

18. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Windows Media Player can slow tracks down. If you add the tracks to your library, you're good to go.

No bells and whistles, but this works fine for me if I want to cop a line or a solo off a recording. I just play the track on my 'puter, turn my amp down low, and get it done.

19. RonyDee

RonyDee

Newbie would like to know if I could use the bt-2 as a minicamp to play quiet with headphones also? Was thinking of Rockman or the vox amplur or am phones. But I like this device if it serves my original intent to plug my bass in and headphones.

20. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Disclosures:
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Yes that is the idea, input your bass with a standard1/4" jack and output it with 1/8th stereo jack. So headphones are great for it and the Tascam offers so much more as you have read.

21. RonyDee

RonyDee

thankx for input fergie.