Taurus preamps?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tjclem, Jan 31, 2011.

1. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  2. LuckeyLukey

LuckeyLukey

I played their amps and effects. Seemed to be high quality.
  3. Stone Age

Stone Age

Somehow they decided to start spamming me through my web site too...so I'll never use one.
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Looks like an awesome concept.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

A friend of mine has a Silver amp from them and it's pretty awesome really high quality and attention to detail. It totally showed that they were hand made. My guess is that quality carries over into there other products.
  7. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Disclosures:
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Their contacting you has certainly gained them much consideration here. I might try one of their products on a future build.
  8. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    I am not fond of units that have boards attached to the pots like theres seem to be. My control cavities are small and that makes things even more tight and limiting. One of the reasons I really like the Nordstrand systems.
  9. rdrr

rdrr

10. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

I can't seem to find a place that sells them. I'm interested in knowing how much they sell for.
  11. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Same here.

lowsound
  12. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Understood, that would be one my hangups as well (Taurus, EMG and the Pope).....especially on a shallow bodied instrument (1.5" thick or less body) as well as having the batteries in there too.........That's why I leaned towards Audere, the pots are extremely low profile (excellent quality as well, MIJ) and the "box" is relatively about the size of a 9v and highly configurable, already wired when you get it...The second one is an Audere stacked, the non-stacked are actually a hair smaller..

[​IMG]
  13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've been talking with them about possibly becoming their US sales rep. Nothing solid yet, no commitments either way at this point. Basically at this time they don't have any representation in the US, so you'd have to order direct from them--or maybe from an EU retailer like thomman.de.

But if you have any specific questions you'd like to ask them, I'm happy to pass those on to them.
  14. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    very cool

The real depth killer most times for me is the pull up switch pots used to switch to passive operation for instance.
  15. thepontif

thepontif

Disclosures:
    Designer Fodera Guitars/Michael Pope Design, Inc.
    The boards fitting into a shallow body is an issue for sure. It's something I considered as well. But at the end of the day doing it the way I did makes for a better manufacturing paradigm for my situation. I don' sit home all day putting together preamps for people. If I did, I could do all kinds of things differently. I've not yet run into a bass where it wouldn't fit, but I'm sure they're out there.

The boards are just right at 1" tall. There's a bit of clearance between them and the inside of the "top" so if the top is the typical 1/4" thick, the leading edge of the board would be right at about 1 5/16" from the front face of the guitar. Add another 3/16" for clearance and backplate recess and you'd be right at a total body thickness of 1 1/2".

It's interesting to me that this thing has shown up here on TB out of the blue right after I debuted the Flex Core at NAMM :)

I'm sure it's just a coincidence, though.
  16. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    The other thing that I like about audere, is that they use Teflon coated wire. But enough of my derailing............ The Taurus pre looks promising.....

My guess is, however you cut it, even in a shallow cavity the taurus, pope and emg can fit and are are equally good preamps. My Spector is proof that an EMG pre can fit.
  17. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:

Mike, I guess it's flattery, eh? ;)
  18. thepontif

thepontif

Disclosures:
    Actually, I think it is coincidence. The problem with NOT being a particularly fierce competitor and just sticking to what I do is that I am often unaware of what others are up to. My design makes tons of sense, so it's logical that someone else would be thinking along the same lines.

I still feel like I have a combined musical and engineering perspective that is not repeatable by anyone else at this point. That's my product. I don't worry much about others. I have my own problems to worry about :)
  19. thepontif

thepontif

Disclosures:
    Not for nothing, but I asked my astrologer about these Taurus preamps, and she said they were bull. :)
  20. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
  21. thepontif

thepontif

Disclosures:
    tip your bartenders and waitresses