1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

TB Classifieds gripe

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by lfmn16, Jun 25, 2012.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Just complaining here, but I've had some irritating interactions in the Classifieds lately and would like to suggest some general etiquette:

If you have a problem with an ad, send the OP a PM. I don't know why some people comb the classifieds looking for issues and then post their findings in someone else's ad, when they clearly have NO INTENTION of buying anything. If you are anal retentive and have no life, at least have the courtesy to alert the OP that there is a mistake and give them an opportunity to correct their ad. If they don't, report it to the moderators. i had this happen to me recently. Although I appreciate being corrected, because I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone, I do not appreciate being corrected in an open forum which could leave some people with the impression that I was PURPOSEFULLY being deceitful.

If you don't want to buy something, don't waste the OPs time. Don't swap PM's just to drop off the face of the earth.

If you aren't serious, don't make offers. I recently had someone offer me a trade and when I responded, they never responded back. I'm not upset that they changed their mind, but at least have the courtesy to let me know.

In short, just treat people the way you want to be treated.

End of rant.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

+1

3. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    I appreciate the feedback. Common courtesy seems to be a thing of the past.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pmchenry

pmchenry

Is there a reason people besides the OP are even allowed to post to a thread in the classifieds?

The reason I ask is because on most other messageboards I use that have a classified section, the OP is the only one with permission to post replies in the thread itself(for further information, or to give a weekly bump for something that is still available). Prospective buyers and all other bystanders are usually required to send a PM if they're interested.

Just wondering why TB doesn't follow that same rule?

7. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Because:
    1. Some people actually post helpful information
    2. If a legitimate question is asked and answered, it saves the OP from having to answer a question multiple times
    3. If a PM is sent to the OP, a "PM sent" post from the sender notifies the OP of it, and in some cases, provides a queue order for those interested

Not saying your idea is not a bad one, but the above is how the classifieds IME are used.

8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    and 99.999999999% of the time it works perfectly. I've read a lot of useful information in the classifieds. It's interesting to hear what other people like about gear you are considering.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Never been a classifieds customer but your observations are noteworthy.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Yep, some jerk gave me a hard time about selling a pedal for $60 after he saw that I bought the same pedal from another TB'er a few weeks earlier for $50. What he didn't bother to notice is that the one I was selling was new, and the one I bought earlier was used and scratched up. I verbally slayed him via PM, and I have reason to believe a moderator did the same :)

11. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Is it against the rules to give someone negative feedback for a sale thread if they flake on you?

12. SpecialBlender

SpecialBlender

I use the classified ads whenever I'm looking at gear or basses for exactly this reason. These ads give me a good idea of what things are selling for, especially if the gear I'm looking at is for sale somewhere else besides TB.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Some people just have issues with a little thing called profit. I don't. I'll pay a fair price for something even if I know it was purchased by the seller for less. Face it. every time you buy something in a store or online, that's what you're doing. You always have the option to say, "No thanks."

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I would consider that bad form if the transaction had not been completed. There's no crime in changing your mind, and it's just bad manners to drop off the face of the earth. You would also be subject to negative feedback if you did that. That's why it's not a good idea to spend money from a transaction until the money is in the bank. It's best not to get worked up over the small stuff.

15. baba

baba

If the posts in your for sale thread become critical or question your price, notify a mod with the little button in the right hand corner. They will delete the posts and handle it appropriately.

I had to do this when a troll was busting my balls over a bass with a twisted neck. I clearly explained it had a twisted neck and my dirt cheap price reflected that. For some reason he wouldn't let up about it. He was either banned or took his ball and went home because I haven't seen him since.

16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    +1

If the buyer is happy with the price, what difference does it make how much the seller paid for it originally?

17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bringing this to the top because I've seen a couple of unnamed knuckleheads do this again. Maybe one of them could tell us all why it is OK to try to ruin someone else's sale,

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I thought it was against the rules to negatively comment in a for sale thread, or question the price? Am I missing something here?

I'm only irked by the what's the weighters. I've yet to see one of them buy something. Not sure what thems people are all about.

19. baba

baba

You speak the truth!:D

20. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Previously cybersnyder Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Are you talking about the Fodera? Totally not cool.

21. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Unfortunately not everyone follows, or knows, the rules. I would like to think that it is common sense to not post something negative in another person's classified ad, but then I'd be wrong.

I wasn't trying to call anyone specific out but YOU just did. Totally not cool.