TB...Share The Love :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tituscrow, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Well, I tried to send a long post into that avatar/subscription thread and the damn thing got locked by the time I finished.

I've rewritten my thoughts so the mods don't see it as some sort of smartass attempt to have the last word, instead I'd like to hear why you guys keep coming back. No whining, no bitching, just warm, fuzzy goodness :)

So here goes....

Why I love TalkBass.

Having toyed with various forums over the years, when I stumbled across this place, I knew straight away there was something different here. Folk were very kind to me and despite the odd 'noob' jibe, nothing ever felt venomous or unnecessarily vitriolic.

I cannot begin to tell you how much my playing has improved, my knowledge about gear has grown and I have been exposed to a whole range of new musical experiences.

I'll be honest with you, this place made me fall in love with the bass all over again. Reading posts and threads from seasoned veterans and bedroom kids alike, made me feel good about what I did musically. Then there is OT. Most forums have an off-topic section, but none are fit to lick the boots of TBOT.

But of course, there are the friendships. There are literally dozens and dozens of guys and girls here from all over the world, who I would be proud and honoured to share a beer with one day, though the sad reality is that most of these friendships will probably only ever be virtual.

Sure there are a few asshats and grinches, but I would number those as less than 1% of the general population.

TalkBass is different. It is special. Cherish it.
  2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I discovered TB last year sometime. I'm not an internet guy. I was googling for some kind of info, I forget what, and it returned a few hits for posts on TB.

This pattern repeated itself enough that I began lurking. And finally, for the first time in my life, at age 39, I finally joined an internet thingy. I'm not on Facebook, I'm not on MySpace, I'm not on whatever else the kids are into, and I still can't quite figure out what Twitter even is. But here I am, the Luddite, typing away.

I've had quite a few questions answered here, either by using the all important search function :D or by posting a thread. But the most enjoyable is when I've been able to help others solve a few modest problems they were having with their gear.

I also received a very nice PM early on from a fellow TBer, complimenting a piece of advice I had given in Band Management, which is my favorite forum, because it's about people, rather than gear or whatever. Don't let me fool you, though. I love a good gear discussion as much as the next bass geek. :bassist:

And I love the Luthier's Corner. I am no luthier. I probably couldn't build a picnic table. But I adore a good build thread, and I envy those guys and gals their talent.

So yeah, TB is pretty cool. But I spend way too much time on it. So on that note, I'm gonna go make dinner, and then I'm gonna hit the 'shed. Peace.
  3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

4. RxFunk

RxFunk

TB is amazing. It's for sure unlike any other forum out there. Everyone here is always helpful and really good at answering questions for me as a beginning bassist. I too love to visit the LC, as that is now a career I'd seriously like to persue and the stuff that comes out of there is awesome and inspiring, I've even learned where to go to school for luthiere here as well. TB has also been a great resource for new music, simpler approaches to music theory, and great recommendations on anything music related for that matter. That's why I keep coming back.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nutso42

nutso42

I love TB because people weren't afraid to tell me when I was annoying them, or being a pretentious little attention whore, and in the long run, it did me good.

Thank you, TB.

+1
  7. MatticusMania

+CalboDaGoGo
  8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Talkbass has the most consistent discussion on the use and products associated with the electric bass guitar of any of the forums I regularly attend.
  9. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I love the camaraderie among folks here. We have bassists of ALL levels and ages joining us... People pop by even before they purchase their first bass, as well as those that just picked up one. Look in the Ask a Pro section and we have astonishing performers providing their insight to everyone with questions. (From quick memory, I remember the current list of pros include Michael Manring, Adam Nitti, Anthony Wellington. and more.)
  10. MatticusMania

I come for ads like this...
    [​IMG]

;)
  11. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

overall, i say this is about the highest IQ website i have ever come across...it is simply mindblowing

and yet, while there you will be taken to task if you make a bunch of unsubstantiated claims (about anything)...there is no feeling of superiority or putting down newB's...they have a small learning curve and fit right in

and this goes for the punk kids :)D) too who are apt to be highly opinionated, but after being gently chastised, all seem to feel right at home.

i know i had some time before the training wheels came off, but i have felt right at home here, even though i don't personally play the bass

i love talkbass because you can get a diversity of opinion here without (for the most part), the bitterness and acrimony that so many sites succumb to....

yeah, ok, i believe Matticus is a little bit of a DB, but even he is ok...at times...:D

[​IMG]
  12. MatticusMania

So outspoken you are! Please, tell me what you really think.

:bag:

S'all good, I'll just spread enough love for the both of us.
  13. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

The love is there, thank you. :D
  14. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

15. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Very romantic.
    I intend to subscribe to TB again once I'm ready to sell some gear. It's an evolving bass encyclopedia. Voted #1 best geek site for bass & double bass, by geeks.
  16. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Great thread, thanks Titus. I love being part of TB. I do get warm fuzzies from some of our discussions. I love hearing what people coming from so many different cultures, beliefs, ages, etc have to say on things. It has made me a better man.
  17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

I'm just here for the sexy Asian chicks
  18. PWRL

PWRL

I'm very grateful for this site. It's a wealth of information and full of helpful people. It's easily the best bass resource out there.
  19. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

I got nothing else to do at work.
  20. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

I could write a term paper, but that nailed it on the head. And you're also very correct about the friendliness of this place. It's not uncommon to see someone call dibs on a pending item in the classifieds, and actually HAVE THE PENDING BUYER be like "Yeah bro! I'll let you know if it doesn't work out."

I've been on other boards as well, but I think we're all here and come back because of the real joy we get by arranging new interesting sounds on a instrument we all care about very deeply. I've put a lot of work into my car and it's very dear to me, but I've only put hours and new strings on my bass and it's nearly holy in my mind!

Let's keep pushing each other to be better.

Cheers folks!
  21. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

I enjoy this site for the massed information,the camaraderie,and the intelligent discussions..and let's face it,the un-intelligent discussions are a hoot too ;)