TBer's Strap Design Cured My Neck Dive!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Twocan, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

A while back I had posted here, trying to find a solution to my Kramer DMZ4001's rather severe neck dive problem. In response, I was contacted by Tber NorCal Dog stating that he had a similar problem with both weight and neckdive, and that he was in the process of developing a strap to remedy the issues.

After having tried several straps on the market without any success, I am happy to report that NorCal Dog's design (The "No-Dive Strap TM") is a winner. It features dual shoulder support which is balanced between the bass and a strap/hook down to your rear beltloop (or belt), distributing the weight evenly along your spine. The bottom strap pin of the bass is then connected to your hip/belt with a custom leather attachment (or routed from the rear hook as shown in my photo below).

As a result the bass is completely stable and balanced. With strap locks installed, the strap can actually be worn under your shirt (leaving it hidden from view). Below are some pics of me wearing the strap on top of my shirt:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since the photos above, the harness has been redesgined, now with a V pattern, keeping the of the harness off the back of your neck. The underside of the harness is suede, and is very comfortable the wear.

I wanted to share this for a couple of reasons - first it was very cool of NorCal Dog to respond to my post with a solution to my problem. Also, I believe he's developed the strap to the point now where he'll be producing them for sale. I wanted to give him a plug here and a solid endorsement - the strap has made my bass more comfortable to play. I no longer have a sore shoulder after gigs, and my neck dive problem is resolved. Shoot Dennis (NorCal Dog) a PM if you have any interest in one of these straps!
  2. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

3. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Very cool!! Neck dive isn't a problem for too many of my basses, but I do kinda want something that makes the bass look like its floating
  4. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    would just like to thank Steve for beta testing this strap, & the strap in the photos is a prototype ( i believe i sent him 3 different modded straps until i came up with the final solution )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

can be worn in a more conventional fashion

[​IMG]

under a shirt, tux, ect

[​IMG]

or worn in a high position as some players prefer

[​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IncX

IncX

i dont know ... seems like it has too many parts and would take awhile to put on and take off.

on the plus side, it seems easier on the shoulders than traditional straps
  7. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

It can be as simple or detailed as you want. What I like about it are the number of different options you have (as shown above).
  8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Damn ... it looks like a man-bra
  9. NorCal Dog

Media:
    Albums:
    if you use the belt attachment, it could take a whole minute, ( but you would leave that part on your belt thruout the gig, the main section takes about 10 sec, as you unclip one side of the 3way clip, put it on, re-clip & then clip to a belt loop

it's designed for players that play basses that have neckdive issues, or players that play long gigs that play heavy 4/5/6/7 string basses, or anyone that has shoulder issues as it distributes the weight centrally down the spine / core & transfers weight to the hips
  10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

I'm glad to hear that you don't have any back problems anymore, with this strap. Looks a bit weird, but very cool at the same time ;) I think it can help you very well if you have a sore neck, due to a accident or something. I wish you a lot of fun with it :)
  11. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Yeah, no way I'm wearing that on stage unless I can conceal it.

Serves an excellent purpose for those who need it and need a high level of function over form.

Great design and work!
  12. jlepre

jlepre

I want one! Where can I get one?
  13. NorCal Dog

Media:
    Albums:
    currently,, send me a pm, until i see if there's enough traffic to justify a website
  14. NorCal Dog

Media:
    Albums:
    thanks

it's definitely not a fashion statement as most straps are, but it can be worn under a shirt, hoodie, sport jacket, ect, & if you use straploks ( highly recommended btw ) you just unlock the bass & leave the No-Dive Strap TM on thru breaks, no problem
  15. NorCal Dog

Media:
    Albums:
    that's a viable option as well, but it looks to be VERY limiting as to the positioning of how most players choose to wear a bass

there are numerous choices out there that players here have tried, but they look to be quite cumbersome, once you set them up for a bass, you'll totally have to re-position everything to fit another style bass, & some want you to drill holes in your bass :rollno: you can use this one strap on all your basses no matter the body style

i see numerous threads started here repetitively from players stating ( complaining ) that their shoulder hurts after they play for 20min, or the have an issue with neckdive, or their favorite #1 bass is too heavy,,,, & the responses they receive are,, get a lighter bass :rollno: & get a wider strap :rollno:,, when in all reality, all a wider strap does places weight farther away from your neck towards the shoulder socket ( by design,, as it's wider ) exacerbating the issue

this design centralizes the weight & equally distributes it tighter towards the core ( spine ) on both shoulders, along with the rear clip to the beltloop & the belt attachment, takes alot of weight & perceived weight off the shoulders as well. also improves balance so no need to invest in ultralite tuners, & locks the bass into a solid position freeing both hands to preform one function, actually playing the bass instead of holding the bass in position while playing. it's quite an enlightening experience ( pardon the pun ) having total freedom of movement of both hands, knowing that your bass is in the perfect position at all times.
  16. hotsauce n eggs

hotsauce n eggs

I prefer to go the g-girdle-uitar route myself.
  17. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I've been loving my Slinger strap. It solved my neck and shoulder pain problems resulting from a neck fusion. It took a short while to adapt to it, but I find the positioning of the bass comfortable, and easy to vary. It's slightly lower than I used to wear it, but the difference is minimal. There is actually a feeling of freedom, having the bass so securely mounted on my body, with nothing encumbering my arms or shoulders. But I have problems that NorCal Dog's strap wouldn't address. It's a great design though. Ergonomics never hurt anyone...
  18. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Digging the design behind it, and I like how well-concealed it is under a shirt (like in the picture with the hot rod flames shirt)

Would definitely play one myself, don't have particular problems with neck dive or shoulders but my basses are never quite at an angle I would like (kind of upright style)