TC BH250 vs GK MB200

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Fjazz1, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Fjazz1

Fjazz1

which one is better??
  2. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Better question is which car is faster a red one or black one?

You're going to have to get a tad more specific.
  3. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

I got the MB200. Nice little amp.
  4. boamedt

boamedt

that built in tuner on the tc comes in handy. the spectracomp compressor sounds very good as does the tube emulator
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 5port

5port

7. Fjazz1

Fjazz1

the price is similar and i like the TC for having a built in tuner but the tone is most important to me, i haven't tried either one yet, but i want a warm punchie tone great for fingers and slap
  8. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

For tone I would go G-K. For toys the TC.
    I buy tools.
  9. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Oooo burn on TC Electronic!
  10. B-string

No, some consider bells and whistles more important. I just don't happen to be one of them ;)
  11. IPYF

IPYF

For this exact reason I'd get the TC.
    I have an excellent tool already. I'd never buy a low wattage micro unless it was for the fun factor and the GK micro's don't have any bells and whistles. They're just good solid little amps.

The TC is something I'd buy just because it looks like it might be a bit of fun to tinker about with.
  12. B-string

There you go. :) Different wants are why there is not just one amp company. :D
  13. Fjazz1

Fjazz1

tone is the more important, thanks for the info
  14. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

Play both and see which you like better. Good tone is subjective. I prefer the sound of TC.
  15. boamedt

boamedt

i prefer the tc as well
  16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    They are both great, and I'm thrilled that these two affordable, competent heads are on the market. Tonally, the MB200 is a little more aggressive in the upper mids and has bigger lows. The TC is a little smoother, across the board, but plenty articulate. The "base tone" of each head, combined with the more than adequate EQ on each, will let you dial in a wide range of tones on either head.

The TC has the advantages that TonePrint can bring to the table. That little white knob can be about whatever you want it to be, but I'd agree that some of what the TonePrint knob brings to the table could be considered "toys." They're some pretty good toys, though.

The GK has the advantage in power and headroom. Despite being rated at 200w (compared to the TC's 250w rating), my subjective A/B tests clearly show the GK to have the edge in clean power and headroom. That being said, neither one is going to compete with a bona fide 500w head, but either one is more than giggable, provided that you are using enough cone area.

Again, I'm really happy that we have both of these heads on the market. Rather than calling one better than the other, I prefer to think of them as different flavors of great.
  17. Billy K

Billy K

I have both heads.The GK WAS nice then I plugged it in the wall one day and POP sound like a fuse went out.There is a fuse but G K want us to send it in the repair station because they have the fuse hidden. That's ok but then I did the math 12 bucks to ship it,75 dollars to open the amp and look at it and then who know how much more to fix it.The amp was 250 new and I would be out almost half as much as it is worth.I am thinking it may not be worth fixing.The TC is the go to now and with so much more versatility.More electronics going to the trash dump. hense more global warming LMAO
  18. RMooreRAM

RMooreRAM

I am in the process of making the very same decision. I was leaning toward the TC but I read here the G-K is underrated and actually has more head room. At the same time G-K is not the company they once were and I hear products aren't as well were as TC is somewhat of an up-&-comer. After all, Rocco endorses them.
  19. B-string

G-K is the same or better than they have ever been. And all production is back in California. Things may get put on backorder from time to time as everything comes from that one plant instead of a third party "vendor". TCE has been around a long time, just getting some notice lately.