TC Electronic and Mono endorsements

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by bassmaster831, Sep 4, 2012.

1. bassmaster831

bassmaster831 Supporting Member

Hey Janek,

First off I was at your show at 55 bar recently. Sounded awesome! I was just curious about how you went about getting endorsements from TC and Mono. I currently use exclusively these two companies and I love their products. Im in a well established Northeast US cover band with label representation and I gig at least 2-3 times a week mostly all over New Jersey (Atlantic City,Jersey Shore) as well as NYC. What steps would you recommend I take in order to get an endorsement from them or any other companies (DR/D'addario strings)? Any guidance or advice from you would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

-Phil
  2. bassmaster831

I guess this blog is no longer in use...
  3. GhettoBrassGuy

GhettoBrassGuy Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull, Lakland, Aguilar, Mono Cases, JH Audio
    You most likely won't get free things, endorsement just means you get a discount. Usually half off retail or list price. I use Mono and D'addario. Just email them. Ask to get the email of the Artist Relations person. Write them a nice email about what you're up to, include all your credits and why you'd be an asset to them give you a deal to use their gear. That's about it...
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

The 55 Bar still exists? I remember seeing Mike Stern there maybe 20 years ago.
  5. bassmaster831

Yup its still around. And Mike Stern still plays there with Janek sometimes
  6. bassmaster831

Thanks for the advice
  7. janekbass

janekbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Founder and CEO of http://videobasslessons.tv
    Becoming an endorsee of a product normally comes about from a company approaching you because you are doing something in the public eye. You might be playing with a large act on a big tour, doing a tv show, have a large presence on the internet etc etc... Sometime it can come from being recommended by a friend who's already endorsing the product and thinks you should be too.

One of the main points of contact for an artist and a company besides the ones I've already mentioned is a trade show. This could be the winter NAMM show in CA, Summer NAMM in Nashville (or wherever they hold it... not quite sure...), a bass event like Bass Player Live, or an overseas trade show like Music Live in the UK or the Musik Messe in Frankfurt Germany.

I know all of this information probably won't change anything for you immediately in terms of getting some free gear from a company, but this is the reality you're looking at if that is your ultimate goal. You have to have some kind of status and public exposure to be worth something to an equipment maker, and then you can start a two way relationship that often involves getting gear for free in return for publicizing that gear through your touring, recording, or online presence.

I don't actually use any mono gear, not sure where you got that from. I was approached by TC in 2008 just before they launched their line of bass amps, and was asked to be one of the initial endorsees for the new product line. That was at Bass PLayer Live in Los Angeles, and then I cemented that relationship at the namm show in CA a few months later by performing at their booth.

I hope that info helps.

Janek
  8. bassmaster831

Thanks for the info I appreciate it