1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

TC Electronic BG 250 208

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by foxxiroxx, Dec 31, 2013.

1. foxxiroxx

foxxiroxx

Hello everyone! I just purchased this amp yesterday and so far I love it. Was looking for something small, and easy to carry up and down stairs, but at the same time powerful.

This has 250 watts and 2, 8 inch speakers.

My question is - without going through a PA - has anyone tried to gig with this? Were you satisfied?

Thanks!
  2. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

I don't own the 208, but I have the BG250 with the 15" speaker. I played some small gigs with it, without going through a PA, and I was really satisfied.
  3. foxxiroxx

foxxiroxx

Thanks Mjinsk! Did you have some headroom left? (I hate playing full tilt) ....
  4. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

Yes, I was at noon on gain and master. So i was really confortable.
  5. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Since you purchased it, I guess you'll find out :p

Seriously though, I had a demo for a few weeks and ran it through its paces as a possible replacement for my BG250-115.

There's a great deal of difference in volume if you're using SpectrComp vs not using it.

Playing with a fairly controlled volume group in a rehearsal setting, it was fine with SpectraComp and B3 in front of it. It worked without either, but I had to turn it up almost all the way.

Playing with a louder group (drummer), I felt it could not hang in so well.

I had intentions of using it a a small bar gig, but decided not to bring it at the last minute, based on what I had found with the louder drummer.
  6. mccartneyman

mccartneyman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    I have the BG250 and have done outdoor gigs with PA support, no problem. The amp seems to adapt itself to the situation. I have never run it more than 1/2 open, and tome is set flat for the most part. I also loaded the TonePrint SpectraComp and it does a great job. Seldom use TubeTone, but it does add some bulk.
  7. foxxiroxx

foxxiroxx

Thanks so much everyone who replied, I guess I'm just having a tough time believing such a small (light and easy to carry) amp packs so much punch. Love it though! Thanks for the reassurance and the SpectrComp tip.... I'm taking it to it's first rehearsal on Friday - though it's just the 2 guitarists and I. (We have 1 new guitarist who needs to catch up and me who likes to practice as much as possible)
  8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

A 2x8 would never be enough, for me. Also, to those who responded saying their amp was "halfway", knob position means nothing, and most amps are "full on" when the knobs are at noon.
  9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

+1 or even before "noon" in many cases.
  10. HomesickBob

HomesickBob Do da Boogie! ;-) Supporting Member

I wonder how the amp does stand 5th strings and how it does when 85-90db is required... i guess that's where distortion starts.
    Any clues?