1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

TC electronic BG250 115 help!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fivaras, Dec 12, 2013.

1. fivaras

fivaras

Hello everyone. i just purchased the bg250-115 combo from TC. I can say that I'm really excited about it. Lots of options, tons of power etc. But i noticed something peculiar and i was wondering whether someone could help me since it's my First combo. Even though i have the master volume at about 5 or even more, the amp starts to produce the sound of my bass as i turn the gain knob at approximately 2. When my gain knob is below 2 i have no sound. Is this normal for this combo? Or even for any combo? Thanks
  2. kimokeo

kimokeo

Set the clip on your pre gain. Once that is set, the master should work well for you. It is common (at least on mine) to have little to no volume at < than 2.
  3. fivaras

fivaras

Sorry i have no idea what that means.. :) Could you explain?
  4. loend68

loend68 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    Turn the volume all the way down, play your bass and turn up the gain until the clip light comes on. Then turn it back down slightly so it doesn't come on, then use the master volume for your volume.
  5. fivaras

fivaras

Thanks.. So i guess the thing i just described is normal.
  6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Yes, normal. I run my gain on about 6 and use the master to adjust volume. Passive Fender Jazz.
  7. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Sound like it's your first amp with gain and master? Great input on what to do above. It might be helpful to understand the basics of why.

Gain is the input level. It's adjustable to accommodate varying levels from different basses. If the signal is too strong, it will be overpowering and produce (unwanted, in this case) distortion.

There is a gain level for your playing and your bass that's generally considered "optimal," with the gain adjusted to the point right below where the clip light comes on.

When you're setting the input gain, make sure to turn your bass up all the way.

I didn't see that in the tips above. Some people do this all the time anyway, some don't. I like to save that last bit of volume on my bass to have a little adjustment available at my fingertips.