1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

TC Electronic BG250 Club

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by drpepper, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

There are two decent threads started, but they seem to be more in the direction of product announcements and first reports. With the future development of Toneprints and software revisions, a single thread repository to help keep owners up to date and the word spread on company news and available downloads.

Some specific commentary on Toneprints as they come out would also be nice.
  2. drpepper

I guess a first bit of news/info would be that if you've just received your BG250, there's already a software revision. It's necessary to use the SpectraComp and BassDrive Toneprints and some of the newer Toneprints in the other categories.

I don't believe the update is loaded on the all of the units in stock, so getting it installed would be a first move.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/bg250-software.asp
  3. DaveTomasi

DaveTomasi Gold Supporting Member

Count me in. Great sounding combo and LOUD too. Very light weight for this old guy with a neck fusion. Have not really explored the Toneprint stuff, but I'm not much into effects. I did like the chorus, but I need to find a gig where I can use it. ;)
  4. stepswork4me

stepswork4me Supporting Member

I'll have mine later today. I'm just too damn excited.
  5. drpepper

I don't know that I'll find a practical use for the effects in the Toneprint lineup either, Dave. I've just never used any effects. But even if you're not an effects guy, make sure to download the update and Toneprints that include SpectraComp and BassDrive. Most of those are more properly tone tools than they are effects.
  6. drpepper

Cool. NAD! :bassist:
  7. stepswork4me

Yes Sir!!! And a NBD coming within a few months!!! Complete custom one off to my specs!!!
  8. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

Here is mine ... Killer little Amp .... had to loose the big red decal though :)

Attached Files:

9. drpepper

From the picture, I assume everything went fine, but removing the BG250 badge went without any fuss or muss?
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    TC gave me a BH250 (head only) to take for a review at Summer NAMM. So far, I am quite impressed. The Toneprint option(s) are incredible, in my book. I like the one overdrive option pretty well (forget the name), but more Toneprints become available every day, it seems.

And, it's a great sounding head in its own right! :cool:
  11. drpepper

Good to hear. The review should be interesting.

My interest in the BG250 was in the overall package, the weight being a large part, so even if the BH250 had been available, I don't think it would have been the move for me.

That said, I'd be very curious to know how a different speaker would sound.

I wanted to do some comparison of my own, and being limited to what I have, I figured the best speaker would be the HT112 (so, single speaker and tweeter vs single speaker and tweeter). I went back and forth between the BG250 and SVT7PRO/HT112 and then RH750/HT112.

I have been so impressed with the BG250 that I was expecting it to completely be right there with the others. What I found was that the SVT7PRO/HT112 and RH750/HT112 were somewhat superior sounding (which probably shouldn't be a surprise). The mids on both heads were more open and crisp. There was no place the EQ could go on the BG250 that would make up for it. Boosting mids pushed it in the direction of a "honky" tone. No combination of controls that I could find made it happen.

It's not like this was some kind of beat-down. It's a difference more of nuance and accent. The BG250 continues to simply sound very good IMO. I like the simplicity of the EQ and the implementation of the dynamic midpoints seems to be good.

So, that leaves me to wonder what the BH250 would have done with the HT112
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've been playing the BH250 through my HT110, and that is a great match-up.
  13. RichardCranium

RichardCranium Supporting Member

I'm in. Love mine got nothing but good to say about it. Now that TC updated the Toneprint app the crashing issues are fixed. It sounds great and had nothing but compliments on it so far. It's ridiculous how light it is to carry around too very impressed with the whole package.

The effects sound pretty good and the app works really easy if they would come out with an envelope filter I could ditch my whole pedalboard. My only minor complaint is that the tuner is only regular tuning so if you tune a half step down it won't work although I read someplace that you can tune it from the first fret which sounds crazy enough to work.

The BG250 logo is just a metal sticker and peels right off which I did within 10 minutes of getting it home.

All I'm missing is the footswitch which I've seen online for under $50 to complete the package.

If you're looking for a small light weight combo trust me you won't be disappointed.
  14. stepswork4me

Just got mine home and updated the firmware. I'm a little aloof as to the toneprint. It's gonna take a little bit to figure this out.
  15. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

yes its just a decal .... it came right off .... no glue mess or anything
    I stuck it on the roadcase the amp lives in.
  16. stepswork4me

So... Did your amp come in a box with the manual, usb and mini to mini cables? Mine didn't. I'm thinking that I flubbed and just paid full price for the floor model.
  17. drpepper

Ha! Yeah I noticed it at the bottom of the picture.

I had actually grabbed mine and started to pull right after I unpacked it, but I just decided to leave it.

Since I now know there's no mess afterward, maybe I'll pull it off. I'm not crazy about it, but it doesn't bother me too much.
  18. drpepper

Yes. At the bottom of the box, there was a small box/compartment with usb and mini-mini cables. I don't remember where the manual was (somewhere in a plastic bag). There was also a form cut piece of cardboard on top with tone setting suggestions for different styles.
  19. drpepper

Very cool.
  20. drpepper

I think we ought to make some kind of lobbying effort on this. The way the update works, I have a hard time believing that couldn't be put in as an option. Both groups I'm playing with tune down a half step too.

Tuning from the 1st fret takes some contortion.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.