1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

tc electronic BG250 vs Ampeg BA112 vs Ampeg SVT210AV

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BobChi, Dec 28, 2013.

1. BobChi

BobChi

Hey guys, I will be looking to upgrading my amp in the (near) future and I would love your opinion on which one should I get. I will be using it mostly for home practice and small jams with a guitarist (at home) or guitar and drums (at a practice venue). I wish to buy something that will be sufficient even if I get into more serious playing in the future and not have to change amps every year or so. These are all about the same price where I live and my bass guitar teacher uses 17% discount at a big local store.
  2. Timmah

Timmah

The SVT210AV is just a cab. It's a good cab, but unless you already have something to push it, that's not your best bet.
  3. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

I have a ba112, it is great but in my opinion powerful enough for practicing with a band or a drummer unless he has a very light touch!

I tried the bg250-112 and bg250-115, i prefered the 112 because it was tighter and with little EQ it has as much lows as the 115

The svt210av are ok but sounds way better when you use two and you would have to buy an amp to go with them since they are only cabs.

I'm so impressed by the bg250-112, i Will probably buy one tomorrow
  4. BobChi

BobChi

Is the TC Electronics worth it without those effects? They are to be used with either an iPhone or an Android and I don't have either.
  5. Joseph12

Joseph12

you don't need an iphone
    you can change toneprints using a computer via usb, which i do using my Macbook, no problem.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can say that about any small cab, though. Personally, I'd much rather have it and a PF350 than a digital combo, but to each their own. I also agree with you about the BA112 to a certain extent, but I've done gigs with a BA110 and had enough, so I'm likely not the guy to listen to about that.
  7. obimark

obimark

I love the main effect I run on my TC BH250 head- "Little bit of Grind" I think it is called. It is a nice subtle overdrive- I run it about 50% most of the time. I ab'ed it against my all tube head, and it is pretty close (certainly close enough for a band situation)
    SO considering that TC could save you buying an expensive OD pedal (if you play ROck stuff) it is the best bargain going. However the built in tuner on the TC head is severely lacking and hard to use. (Ended up buying a TC Polytune2 pedal)
  8. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

I would say yes. The effects are cool and all but the only ones I feel are truly useful to me is the Tube emulation and the Spectracomp. I've tried the BG250-115 and the BG250-210. Both sound outstanding.
  9. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

I throw in and mention that I tried out the bg250-112 the other day at GC, and it impressed the hell outta me. Clear and punchy. I "nooned" all the knobs and it shook the walls with authority. Handles the low B at volume.
  10. BobChi

BobChi

I didn't know that. I thought it could only be done via phone. This is cool.

So I'm leaning towards the TC Electronic, since it doesn't need any additional equipment. And has good reviews and features.
  11. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I have an Ampeg BA112 and a TC Electronic BG250. I love the Ampeg for home practice and it works really well for lower volume and acoustic stuff. It is small, light and has great tone. But at 50 watts and 1x12, it isn't the best choice with a loud electric guitar and drummer.

I love the BG250 (1x15) also and have used it for full electric band gigs with two guitars and a drums with no PA support. It's a great choice if you think you may want to use in that way in the future. Lots of EQ possibilites, effects, and enough volume for most situations.
  12. BobChi

BobChi

I was talking about this stack. I am sorry I didn't clarify that earlier.

So, basically, the choice is between this, this and this.
  13. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Get the BG. Best bang for buck and a pretty decent and very giggable tone.
  14. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Supporting Member

I have the first version of the TC BG250/15 and I am always impressed when I play through this rig.

I gigged last month and the band we opened for was going to lend me their Acustic 410-115 rig with an 800 watt head.

I politely passed on the invite and used my BG250 because I was toying with my sound for over a month.

The entire room was impressed.

Great sound, loads of volume and headroom.

I did not go crazy with downloads for the amp, the ones that came with the amp work just fine for me.

You can't go wrong with this one.

There on sale like crazy at some shops.
  15. shrimpflea

shrimpflea