1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

TC ELECTRONIC BG250

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tadhgfish, May 17, 2012.

1. tadhgfish

tadhgfish

Hi all

I just got delivery of this amp and have a noob question - is it possible to run a cable from the speaker out directly into my audio interface for recording?? I have a focusrite sapphire pro 14?

Thanks

2. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

No I dont think that sounds like a good idea. Use the DI out.

3. tadhgfish

tadhgfish

Thanks for that, when u mean DI out do u mean run a cable to a DI box and then interface?

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

What outputs do you have?

Some DI boxes can take speaker signal, some would go up in smoke like your computer interface would.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tadhgfish

tadhgfish

The amp has a balanced xlr, pre/post pre amp

7. arai

arai

Use that. Pre is before the amp eq post is after

8. tadhgfish

tadhgfish

9. Davyo

Davyo Davyo

Been waiting for the release of this combo,,, care to comment on the BG250.

Would it handle a med size gig with or without PA support ?

Can it get loud or punchy ?

Does the Tone Print feature work as as good as it looks like it does on the promo video's ?

Any other impressions you care to share about the BG250 combo ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
    Davyo

Anyone know when the BG250 will be hitting the US ?

10. tadhgfish

tadhgfish

Hi Davyo

Funnily enough was just reading your posts on another thread, hope you get the amp today!! I previously had a GK MB210 but returned it as there was a slight buzz from it and decided to wait for this amp. First impressions slightly heavier and smaller than the gk but better build quality imo. The amp is v versatile in terms of tone, and its loud, in rehearsal last week it easily handled a drummer and two guitars, clear and punchy. For me the tubedrive isn't powerful enough in certain settings, the toneprint works exactly as expected although beaming a toneprint into a pickup in the middle of a gig takes too much time, will try the usb connection to see if its quicker (and quieter). Overall this amp handles rehearsals/small gigs with some room to spare, is light but tough and the effects work well, am v happy with this amp.

11. Davyo

Davyo Davyo

Got my TC BG250 last night and got to check it out for a bit and also compare it against my trusty GK MB210.

I used my MIA Fender P-Bass special,, BEAD tuning.

The BG250 is loud and I dont think it would have a problem on a small to med size gig with no PA support.

Its very light, and I know its just a few more lbs than the GK MB210 but it feels more heafty/solid than the MB210.

The tone print and the built in tuner work fantastic,,,but I didnt care to much for the tube drive.

Compared to my GK MB210 I will say I do like the tone of my GK a bit more,, but on the flip side the BG250 would not fart out on my low B like the GK MB210 does at higher volume levels,,, the BG250 can go louder than my MB210 even though the MB210 is putting out 100 watts more than the BG250.

Anyhow,, they are both so different its not really fair to compare them (IMO),, the MB210 and the BG250 both excell in different area's.

As I said, I was not able to spend alot ot time putting the BG250 thru is paces but so far Im happy with it and it looks like a keeper,,,,,, and to me the built in tuner and effects are a BIG plus !!!!!!

Anyhow,,, I will be checking out my BG250 more during the week and report back.

Cheers
    Davyo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. iabssplyr

iabssplyr

Davyo, thanks for your updates. Please keep them coming because I have a feeling there are a number of us who are interested. I've been mthinking about a 15" combo for rehearsals and jamming and this might be the one.

I also owned the MB210 a little over a year ago. Great tone, but electrical gremlins caused me to lose confidence and I traded it in for my Markbass rig. Loved the GK's weight and volume. After you give it some time please keep us inform of anything interesting like tuner accuracy, your impression of how the toneprints sound, and what it is you found lacking with tube drive circuit.

Thanks again for keeping perspective buyers as well as the curious informed.

13. hufe

hufe Supporting Member

Yes, thanks to both tadhgfish and Davyo and please let us know what else you find about these amp. I'm also thinking of getting one this year.

14. Davyo

Davyo Davyo

Sadly I wont really be able to do much with the BG250 for a week or two,, both my bands are on break so no chance right now to use it on a gig or a rehersal,,,, what timing :meh:

I know one thing though,,, for the price, this amp is more than worth it.

Cheers
    Davyo

15. iabssplyr

iabssplyr

We'll wait for ya. I've got an SWR Workingpro amp that I'm currently "de-rat furring" and I'm under strict orders not to buy anything new until I sell that one, so it won't be until I'm deep into summer.

I'd appreciate hearing how it sounds at low-level noodling volume because I'd be using it for that too. Again, thanks a bunch and if anyone else picks up a BG250 please post us your thoughts. The YouTube videos get old after a while!

16. RichardCranium

RichardCranium Supporting Member

I checked it out yesterday at my GC for a bit and I gotta say it's a pretty decent amp I've had my eye on it for a while. Sounded good and very light. I really liked that the tube sim function is foot-switchable as is the effects. The tuner works good but it's a bit touchy. Happened to have my good earbuds with me and the headphone output sounded good as well.

Volume wise it seems capable of more than just a practice amp I really didn't get it much past 5 because I don't wanna be one of "those guys" in GC but didn't seem to have any breakup or farting out with a couple of different 4's and 5's. Definitely on my short list.

17. bassclef04

bassclef04 Supporting Member

Thinking of purchasing this combo, anymore thoughts from owners?

18. tomdarch

tomdarch

There's a lot about the specs of this amp that appeal to me, but I'm driven crazy by the idea that there's a nice TC effects processor inside, but that its use is limited to their canned presets ("toneprints"). Over on this youtube thread, whoever manages TC's account is replying to some comments on the toneprint system and the question of when/whether editing software will be released:

8 months ago someone asked, "Will the toneprint creating software ever be released to the public?" and TC replied, "I think it will - but don't tell anyone I said so."

I brought up my peeve about the idea of buying an amp with a built-in effects processor that you can only use presets with, and made a "how hard can it be?" comment about releasing some basic parameter editing software. The TC person replied, "I'll tell you this much - if it was easy - we would have done it. A long time ago :)"

There are a bunch of videos of TC techs/engineers editing and uploading parameter sets from laptops, so they have some sort of editing software in existence. TC has "toneprint" phone-to-device uploading for pedals and the BG250 (and maybe other equipment?) so it wouldn't surprise me if the software for the pedals is different than the software for the amp. In the end, the software is creating a file that the phone app uses to produce sounds for the device to sense, but it makes sense that creating those files would be different depending on the target device.

In the end, the amp really appeals to me, but I'm frustrated by the idea that there would be a nice effects processor inside, but only presets to use with it. These comments from TC make me think that editing software isn't coming out any time soon.

(I downloaded some of the toneprint files for Mac from the website. In the guts of those files is a compiled 3 point-something MB application that handles the USB upload. The actual configuration file appears to be mixed into that executable file. That's about my limit of computer skills in trying to see what the actual configuration data looks like. I guess someone who knows a lot about USB could capture the back-and-forth data streams between the computer and the amp to see what is being transmitted, but I certainly can't.)

19. jzbass6

jzbass6 One Nation Under A Groove Supporting Member

Ordered mine today from Musician's Friend, got an extra 10% ($40) off with promo, should have it in about a week. I'm really hoping it works out, I'm looking for someting with a 15" and lighter than my Aggie rig.

20. tdawgg

tdawgg Supporting Member

I got one today, ordered from MF, with a 15% discount. Brought it home, unpacked it, and...the hi control didn't work...at all. Sounded like it had a blanket over it. I tried all three EQ controls full cut and full boost. Both mid and low worked fine, but when I twisted the high EQ full in both directions, nothing. Very disappointed. I call MF, and they are over nighting another one, which I had to " buy", and then they will refund me for the defective amp once they receive it. Everything else seemed to work fine. Amp seems to have plenty of power. Guess I'll have to wait a couple more days to put up a full review.

21. jzbass6

jzbass6 One Nation Under A Groove Supporting Member

I took a ride over to my local GC because they had one there, I was very impressed with it, great tone shaping, plenty load, light weight and well built. I can't wait to get mine and really spend some time with it.