Tc Electronic BG250

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by himluis1, Nov 20, 2012.

1. himluis1

himluis1

Im looking to buy an amp for small to mid-size gigs/church and may be a concert or two a year ... also for practice and i went to gc n samash and tried a lot of combo amps and heads n cabs with my fender deluxe active mim j bass ... i liked bg250 also the tour 450 head with a 4x10 cab, the tour tnt combo the gk mb115 but i couldn't raise the volume to see if the bg250 was loud enough comparing to the others , I know is 250w but if there is someone that have use one of this amps please let me know !!!
  2. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

3. soulman969

soulman969

I'm using one and the amp is quite a bit louder than my GK MB112 combo and louder than a GK MB115 I compared it to as well. I'm sure you'd get far more volume out of RH450 and a 4x10 though if that's what you're seeking. More speaker area + more power = great volume.

I'll say this much though. The BG250 can handle most anything you can throw at it which doesn't require sound reinforcement and when you do it has that covered as well either pre or post EQ. I've played it stand alone in a 7 piece blues and r&b band and had no trouble hearing it or being heard. It's loud, punchy and it has a nice round bottom end.

You may want to wander over to the tc electronic site and take a peak at the abstract they post on the Active Power Management System they use in their bass amps. It's interesting and provides some explanation for why they can get more apparent volume from their designs for a given amount of watts.

Good Luck with your hunt. Hope this helps you out somewhat.
  4. himluis1

himluis1

Thanks !!! this help a lot as im looking for the right amp ... i like the rh450 but that one is $699.99 without the cabs ... that's a bit too much for my budget as i have around $800.00 for amp n cab all together ... i was between the bg250 or the bh250 and maybe the 2x12 but the cab is rated at 250w @8ohms so i would only be pushing around 125w unless i get 2 cabs ... but im sure about one thing , i want to buy TC ELECTRONIC amp ...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jason Hall

Jason Hall

I've had my bg250 for a little over 2 months, still very happy with it. I've just been practicing with a guitarist and drummer but I haven't had to go over 5 with a very loud drummer playing metal. The size, weight, and overall versatility make it hard to beat in a combo sized amp. I plan on eventually saving up and getting a big stack with a tube amp for my own gratification... but really I don't feel like I need it.
  7. himluis1

himluis1

i noticed the material use for the cab , gets easily scratch n it dents easily too , im looking for an amp that i can move n bang around and still delivers good sound . i really like the bg250 but it doesnt look as solid as other amps , so that is holding me back .
  8. soulman969

soulman969

Spend a few extra bucks and buy a cover. Here's where most other have gotten one; https://lecover.com/products.php?cat=3&sman=126&filter= (bottom of the page). Guys who have bought them have been very pleased. Check out their comments in the club thread.

To be honest it's very little different than the tolex on most others including my GK. If you move them and bang them around you can expect any of them to get banged up. Just drop a few bucks and a cover if keeping it looking new are important to you.

It's as solid as it needs to be and the sound is great for an amp in this price range. I just got through traveling over 2000 miles on the road with mine and I've had no problems with it at all.
  9. himluis1

himluis1

yes ... bg250 is coming home !!! I'll be buying the cover also ... 35 lbs 250w , tone print , tuner , Direct out etc etc ... u cant go wrong with this one !!! thank u all for your time
  10. soulman969

soulman969

You're welcome. That what this forum and threads like this are all about. If we like it we tell others and if we don't we can be honest enough to say what we don't like about something or provide alternative solutions like the suggestion for a cover.

I think you'll be very happy with your choice. There isn't much else in the market that's it's equal as far as tone and features go. Happy new bass combo day.