TC Electronic BH250 First Gig Impressions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gjbassist, Mar 8, 2014.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I posted this on the BH250 thread but thought I would start a separate thread in case anyone is considering this amp and wanted a review.

I used the BH250 for the entire gig last night and it worked great!
    I ran it through a single 8 ohm 210 cabinet. Plenty of volume and punch! The band consisted of myself, drummer, two guitars, harmonica player and a second percussionist who played congas. It was an open jam so I actually got to sit out in the audience and listen to the rig when a couple of other bass players took the stage. The tone was great and it was very present in the mix. Lots of low end without being muddy.
    The stage was very small so I ended up not using my Zoom B3 to save space. I was a bit concerned that the amp would not have as much punch to it as I use the compressor and amp sims on the B3 to fatten things up more. I had put a tube OD in to the BH250's tone print slot and planned on using it. However once I took out the B3 I decided to install the Spectra comp in it's place. I used the Tone Print app on my iPhone to install the Spectra comp. Not sure exactly how it works but it sends a signal through the phone to the pickup on my bass and on to the amp. I did it right there on stage and it only took a few seconds. Isn't technology wonderful!
    Overall I was very pleased with how the BH250 performed and sounded. It has more than enough volume for my needs and some nice built in features such as the tuner and Tone Print. The fact that I got the BH250 at such a great price ($205 shipped from Prostar Audio on Ebay) makes this amp a fantastic value IMO.

2. obimark

obimark

I love mine- have gigged with it and my single SWR Golight 210 as well.

The ONLY issue is I haven't been able to successfully daisy chain both of my 210 cabinets to it. It just doesn't seem to put out, but maybe I am doing it wrong.

3. Swerve

Swerve

Great review.

I ordered mine last night on eBay for 299$ shipped brand new. It comes with the foot switch and a pair of AKG headphones. Seemed like a good deal to me. I'm eagerly anticipating it's arrival.

4. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I'm thinking about getting the foot switch. Let me know what you think of it. It would be nice to be able to switch between two Tone Prints on the fly.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Have you tried it with multiple cabinets?

7. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

I have! 2 Berg HT112ER's and 2 Epifani DIST 112's. Sounds great with both. Hard to believe it's only 250 watts.

8. tastybasslines

Good to know! I'm gigging again soon for the first time in a very long time. First couple of gigs are at small restaurants/bars. But we could have a larger gig, and I would then want to use my second Aggie 1x12. They are 8ohm cabs. So speakon out of the head into one cab, and then 1/4 out of that into the second one? That's it right? Is there a way to use the speakon of both cabinets?

9. IPYF

IPYF

I continue to be nothing but impressed by this amp. I was playing a show with our backline rig the other night (a GK Fusion 550 + SWR Golight 410) and by halfway through the set I wished I could have swapped the head out for my BH.

The best thing about it though hands down is the value for money. The best micro amp, in my opinion, is the TH500. Off the shelf in Australia one of those will cost you about $1200 if you're lucky. I got my BH for $360. It's nothing short of sensational for the price.

I play in a 9 piece band with a single 8 ohm Ashdown MAG210t which is a very budget oriented cab. I am still the loudest dude in the room.

tastybasslines likes this.
  10. Low Class

I'm not familiar with the connectors on those cabs, but what you described will work fine.

11. tastybasslines

Well, I pulled the trigger. Pro Audio Star gave me a similar deal. I think it's going to be a great first amp for getting back into gigging with and has pretty much everything I was looking for in an amp. The ONLY thing I am concerned about is that I've seen several differing opinions about it's power... some guys say it has plenty of power, others not as confident. and because my Aggie cabs use a lower sensitivity speaker (95db) than most, I'm hoping that wont be a problem.

12. Low Class

Awesome! I think you'll like it. Once you get it and decide if you'll keep it I recommend getting the foot pedal for the TonePrint control $49 shipped on eBay.

13. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Media:
    The foot switch is nice for tuning, switching tone prints or turning off the tone print. I switch basses a lot each gig. Usually 4 basses and I probably switch 8 times during the night. 8 string, fretless, fretted and upright. The tuning switch mutes the output during the switch great.

14. IPYF

IPYF

Obviously the amp comes with lots of toneprint capabilities. I find loading the standard Spectracomp model gives you a lot of volume and helps cut through a dense mix. I have mine on about a third most of the time.

Like the other guys I also got the Switch 3. It lets you cycle between the last two toneprints. It's great for me because I use an octaver for some songs and it means I don't have to fiddle with my phone mid-set.

15. tastybasslines

Now that I saw this thread, I'm even more worried...

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/whi...omorrow-aguilar-db-112-v-berg-nv-115.1060050/

"I just bought this weekend a TH-350 with a Aguilar DB 112. I absolutely loved the tone, however, it was not enough volume even fully cranked for a relatively loudish church gig (it was fine for my smaller church gig). We had a touring bassist come in to lead our worship night (2 hour set) and he said I definitely needed more power since he could not hear me. (We tried all sorts of EQ). My wife, who is our lead singer, could not hear either. "

And that's a TH350. I know that you would have to double the wattage to get a 3db increase, so it is not that big a deal...still. I want to be able to gig with just 1x12 and I don't want to HAVE to bring both my cabs to get the volume I need, if I don't want to. Maybe I need to get a 4 ohm cab...Obviously I'll wait and see. I'm expecting to like the head so much, I just might have to do that.

@Low Class - I edited my post...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  16. Low Class

17. Low Class

I've been gigging with 12's for the past 15 years or so. One cab is fine for jazz gigs, church, rehearsals, etc., but for any gig that requires any volume you will need 2 cabs. Every time I try to get away with one cab on a gig that needs volume I end up having to buy a new driver. If you want a one cab solution you might think about going to a 15 or 210.

tastybasslines likes this.
  18. parker 71

parker 71

Can you plug headphones straight in to use it without a cab like other mini heads -cause it works with BH500

19. Low Class

Yes

20. parker 71

parker 71

I suppose you already try it? Cause in that case my cabs can live in rehearsal room
    And thanks for really quick answer

21. Low Class

Yes, I've tried it.