TC Electronic BH250 Micro Bass Head

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Burke, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Burke

Burke

I bought one of these and I think they are pretty cool and sound pretty decent. What I'm wondering is how they stack up to the other micro bass amps out there. Anyone here have any feedback? Thanks for the discussion in advance.

2. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

I got one as well, recently, to go with my RS112 cab. I used a 70s Dynacord on htat cab before but then got a Dynacord cab... So the cabinet needed a proper amp. This is at home as my practice amp. I like the built-in tuner, the simplicity, aux input, and the headphone out. I haven't explored the Toneprint function yet.

How it stacks up with my experience on other micro amps? I like my Aguilar TH500 better tonewise, as it has the awesome "drive" and "gain" interactivity and a more versatile EQ, along with the double power capacity - and it never craps out on you.

I had a Little Mark II before, and although it was also very good, and more powerful, I think the TC has quite a good bang for the buck ratio with regard to the LM II or III.

I also have an Ampeg Micro VR stack. That one has seen some live use, and it works and sounds awesome, but I needed to use the pad and the limiter on it to make it work with my quite hot passive basses. It also has the "aux" input and headphone out.

In my experience, the BH250 is a great amp for the money, with many functions you don't get with other D-class micro amps, and it sounds good enough to gig. Congrats on yours!

3. tmdazed

tmdazed

Gigged mine extensively the last few months , nice not to have to carry the lead weighted tube amp I used to use, the DI output on it works great , plenty power to keep up with all my guitar players amps , you can easily dial in a great tone and the toneprint feature is great but not terribly usable gigging unless you have the footswitch for it .

4. Burke

Burke

Thanks for the input guys. I'm pretty pleased with it. I use a Hartke XL210 and the spectra comp multi band compressor tone print. My pedal board is just a Sansamp basically. I have a chorus and octave pedal and a DI box. Standard stuff. Tuner, Volume. Nothing special. Anyway, the Sansamp into this little amp sounds great. Plenty of punch in the Hartke 210 and I dial in the Lows depending on the room. It's perfect for me and if we're in big rooms I'll go DI from the footboard and use it for stage volume. My guitarist is jealous that the bass player can now carry his entire rig and instrument in both hands while he's still making 2 trips with rock n' roll carts...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RMooreRAM

RMooreRAM

I just acquired an AWESOME Ampeg one x 10" with horn pro series satellite cabinet that hasn't been made in years, certainly not since the takeover by Loud Industries. I am considering and about to pull the trigger on getting the TC BH250. I am somewhat drawn to TC with Rocco's affiliation but am definitely going to get a mini to use with this new find and lighten my load for small venues.
    I would like to hear more experience with the TC BH250 verses the Gallien Krueger or other options.
    Bob in South Carolina.

7. Burke

Burke

I like it. It's loud and the intelligent EQ is pretty cool. Like I said, I pre amp it with a SansAmp and I use the compressor toneprint. Check one out. You may find that you love it. Also, you can find them brand new for around $250 - $300 all over the place.

8. RMooreRAM

RMooreRAM

Thank you Burke. I will act on one tonight on-line. I found a "open Box" at ProAudio with the two year warranty for $217.

Thanks Again,
    Bob
    PS, How do I join the Official Fender Precision Bass Club? I have a 1959.

9. RMooreRAM

RMooreRAM

Also, how do I join the official Hartke Owners Club? I have two HA 7000's

10. Burke

Burke

There's a thread on here somewhere. I wanted to join the MTD Kingston owners club myself but no one in that thread ever replied to me... No biggie I guess.

11. pedroims

pedroims

I got one and I liked the sound, I bought it to play along with the songs we played at church, unfortunately, the volume of the input jack was too low to the point that the amp was useless to me. I gave it away to a church that was in need for an amp.

12. Burke

Burke

Hmm. Mine thumps. It's plenty loud. Easily keeps up with live drums and guitar amps. Maybe you had the input pad switched on? I've never had that problem with mine. Bummer dude.

13. KevinMG

KevinMG Supporting Member

I posted this in another thread this morning, but would be interested to know if anyone is using the headphone and aux in features. I'm interested to know if the aux in preserves the original stereo input source (left soundstage stays on left, right stays on right) or if it sums everything to mono first. This was a downside to the GK MB-200 which otherwise has a great headphone amp. Ampeg seems to be the only manufacturer that keeps the input source untouched, which makes for a more studio-like practice experience. Thanks!

14. Burke

Burke

Never used it. Don't use the aux in either When I practice at home I DI into my mixer and mix the iPod or whatever on faders and use the headphone out of that

15. Rickflynn

Rickflynn

Can you plug headphones straight in to use it without a cab like other mini heads?

16. parker 71

parker 71

I'd like to know it too, it works with BH500

17. asnutter

asnutter

YEP...I use mine with headphones and no cab all of the time... Sound is much less muddy, and more clear...Some of the toneprints are kind of "hokey", but many of them are really cool...I wish I could blend them, but am "stuck" using just one effect...The other thing that is "kind of" a drag, is, that you cannot change toneprints with your smartphone, while the input runs through your effects board...All of your affects have to be "turned off" before your pickups will recognize the toneprint change beaming from your phone...Not a deal breaker, just a minor inconvenience...

18. ERIC31

ERIC31

+1. I use mine daily like that. MP3 player into Aux in, headphones plugged into output. Rock out with STEREO sound! =)