1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

TC Electronic Nova System

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Richard_P_Harve, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

I have never been much of a stomp box guy but recent gig's had me looking for some dirt and a few other tricks. Looked at all the potential options and decided to give the Nova a try. Only have had it a few days but I must say that although this thing is really geared towards guitar players it really shines for a bass player too. All of the effects are dead quiet and very good sounding. I picked this up for under $350 which I though was very reasonable until I got the unit, now I think it's a steal at that price. Made like a tank, silent in operation with very high quality effects. Could be an option for an all-in-one solution if that's what your after. I may add an expression pedal for volume and WAH but other than that this has it all.

2. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Bringing this back from the dead :p

Assuming you've continued to use this, do you have any more comments? Anybody else using one of these have any random comments related to it?

I've not been a pedal guy at all to this point, but I'm in a new band that's going for party rock (no keys), with a lot of dancable stuff and it's really looking like a few songs are going to call for effects (like blended synth/phaser and octaver/chorus) to make them click.

I decided on the Nova System after watching this video -

It should get here today. The operation of it seems pretty intimidating. Hopefully it'll be less so when it's right in front of me.

3. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

wow, great demo. I was seriously looking at that unit, I love TC Chorus sound.

4. drpepper

We'll see what happens. Being geared toward guitar and not having everything I think I'll need, I don't know.

I saw the comments that the octaver down "could be stronger." Not sure if that means it's unusable. And I don't know if there are parameters on some effect that could do things that'll work as a synth-ish sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

yea, please report back what you think about it.

7. drpepper

Well, after a couple of days, I have to say this unit is WAY to much for a pedal noob. I don't know exactly what would work best for me, but I don't think this is it.

The noted bass "weaknesses" are evident. The octaver is okay down to what would be a down tuned D on a guitar. Below that, I guess the input signal isn't interpreted well and the octave down output isn't clean. The tuner doesn't work with open B, E and A strings.

The overdrive/distortion, chorus and other modulation effects, reverb and delay all seem excellent, but I think I leaped too quickly. I have a handful of specific sounds I want to get, but if this unit can get me there, it seems too complicated for me to figure out without becoming a Nova System expert. I'd hope that there's something I can do that's requires a bit less of a learning curve...more click and go.

8. kerryg

kerryg Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
  9. drpepper

10. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Thanks for the heads up. I ended up going with a M5 (almost M9) because I already had a distortion, freeze, BEF pro and compressor pedal I liked and just needed chorus, flange, delay, reverb, pitch shift and octave that would be midi controlled. Hope you find what you need the next try.

11. kerryg

kerryg Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums: