1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

TC ELECTRONIC RH750 vs. MESA WALKABOUT head

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mb94952, Feb 7, 2014.

1. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Gold Supporting Member

Hey family,
    I own all Mesa and SWR amps. They all have iron transformers, as opposed to the digital class D transformers found in micro heads like the TC Electronic , for example.

Personally, I LOVE my amps because they are lightweight and do have the good old fashioned iron transformers. My Mesa M6 is only 26 lbs and it is ungodly loud.

You don't have to work as hard with iron transformer amps as you do with class D. Plus, the tone is overall warmer and more familiar. It's fatter, too.

BUT... I have been intrigued by the RH750 lately. I saw the demo on SWEETWATER'S site and it is phenomenal. I really like the features it has. I really like the compression, on board tuner, 3 presets, etc. I particularly LOVED the demo going from mid scooped slap tone to Ampeg SVT grit. He uses a Jazz bass and it sounds excellent. I have tried Markbass, etc and none of them do it for me.

So, since the Mesa Walkabout is my most used amp and it weighs only 13 lbs and the RH750 weighs only 8 lbs, I figure it's a fair comparison. Plus the 750w of class D is a fair match to 300w of Mesa iron transformer power.

Who of you have owned / played both and how do you like the TCE RH750 ? I'd love to have one, but if it just looks good on demo's and stinks in "real life" , then I'll pass.

Thanks in advance :)
  2. parapentep70

parapentep70

Hi M.

I Have not tried the walkabout, but I use the RH750 with 3 cirrus... including yours ;) ! It's a heaven of flexibility.

Two of them are 5 strings, this might be relevant to you.

For "power" the many discussions seemed to agree that "Bah, it's just 236W continuous power". I don't play with continuous power, but in bursts, and bursts in this head can go up to 450 of legitimate (i.e. "real") compressed, high passed, loudspeaker friendly watts. 900W peaks.

And the best is that this power can be "speaker friendly" (not a lot of sub-bass), then it can be used with "old school" speakers, with typicallly higher efficiency and less capability for questionable sub-bass (I admit the debate about if this is very good or not acceptable depending on anyone's goals). More than enough for 5-string Cirrus. And you don't waste power where you don't want to (Have you ever heard the wonders of Fdeck's HPF?).

So in my opinion it is not comparable to fair 300W of iron transformer, solid state power but more with 300W of tube power. I said IMO!

Good luck!
  3. mb94952

That's great, Luis !!!
    I love that you play a Cirrus (x3) through the TCE and have good things to say about it.
    "Heaven of flexibility" is very tempting.
    I'd love to hear from some other peeps with experience, as well.
  4. mb94952

any other opinions ??
    Bump
  5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Buy the Mesa. The RH750 is not a 750W amp in any way. 236W is the most that it can put out. Do a search to confirm this.
  6. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

I have an opinion, but not from owning or using both, more from my experience with the RH750 and observations from this forum.

I had an RH450 for almost 3 years and have an RH750. I like it a lot. If I were to give a complaint about it, for me, as someone who finds "tone shaping" challenging at times, I find it somewhat "over-adjustable." Without a good grasp on it, some pretty bad sound can be made. I don't know that I've ever fully gotten my head wrapped around it. For someone with a great grasp on semi-parametric eq and some of the other aspects in there, it is probably heavenly.

That said, my observations are that there seems to be a group that like the RH750; both sound and features. There also seems to be people who find something offensive about the way it sounds.

With the Walkabout, I don't know that I've ever seen a negative post about the sound.

So, maybe you're one of the people who think it stinks in real life...maybe you're not. You know you like the Walkabout.
  7. mb94952

Wow thanks so much !!! I so appreciate your opinion. If you are saying the RH750 has a tone stack where one knob affects the others, then forget it. I can't wrap my head around that function and I certainly do LOVE the walkabout. I think I just need to try an RH750 someday...
  8. mb94952

Sorry, just saw this. I checked the thread earlier from my phone and missed this post.

Yes, I already own the Mesa. I own the Walkabout and the M6. I LOVE them, but I was just curious about the RH750.

I've heard that before that the RH750 is only 236w, but the owner above (Luis) said it's way louder than perceived.
  9. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

No not quite. The digital shaping is semi-parametric like the M-Pulse EQs but you press 'shift' to adjust the frequency of each EQ control. So getting your tone can be a bit fiddly BUT once you get it set up it's really easy to store favourite settings to memory which can be accessed with the footswitch. I used to store favourite settings for my jazz, precision and upright on my RH450. You also have a mute and tuner down there - I loved that damn footswitch!

That said - I preferred the WA tone to the RH... and tone wins. :smug:
  10. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

It sounds by description the power section of the 750 lacks exactly what you love about the power sections in your other amps.
    I loved all my walkabouts but only ever had enough headroom running them at 2 ohms.
  11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

If the question is, which one sounds better- well, the Walkabout is a beloved tone machine. Wouldn't part with mine for a million watt wonder amp.
  12. mb94952

Thanks guys !
    To be clear - I am not EVER going to sell my Walkabout. I am not questioning it or choosing between the two.

I just really LOVED the RH750 demo seen here http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...=c&network=g&gclid=COyWi6_1wrwCFciIfgodgB0Anw

I was only considering adding an RH750 to the arsenal, but from the sounds of you Mesa guys who love you WA as much as I do and more than the RH750, it sounds like it would be a useless move. Anyway, it's not like I have the money to do it anyway, but I really love the demo. For once, a GREAT demo !!!
  13. pfschim

pfschim Supporting Member

Well, my experience is with an TC RH450, not RH750, but I have played and loved my Walkabout since I got it 6 or so years ago.

I'll start by saying that I no longer have the RH450, and the WA remains my main gigging amp.

I liked the idea of the RH450 very much, great form factor and weight, and I certainly thought the features were very cool: very nice compressor, 3 presets, HIGHLY adjustable EQ points, on board tuner, very cool footswitch .....
    The only tone control I did not like was the "Tube Tone" which always sounded kind of unnatural to me.

Despite all the interesting and useful features, I could never get it to sound like anything I really wanted, and it was never even close to the Walkabout. I used it as a backup amp for about 6 months and then sold it. Never missed it.

just my 2 cents
  14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

For a 1MW amp you'd need a touch over 3,333 fridges to handle the load! :)