TC Electronics Flashback Delay problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by willsellout, Oct 2, 2011.

1. willsellout

willsellout

So I bought this pedal off a TB'er and when I got it I started having some problems with it. I run most of my pedals off of wall warts but I was running this on batteries temporarily.

When I put a battery in and turned it on, everything was good for a few minutes then it shut itself off. It wouldn't come back on so I swapped with a new battery. It came on and worked for a couple days of intermittent use but I was hearing hum and random clicks that I thought might be glitches with one of the digital pedals. Wasn't a huge deal.

So after about a day, I go to turn my pedals and rig on and I get this huge wall of white static noise and pops which I thought was going to blow my speaker, but luckily no damage happened before I was able to mute it. So I take out the battery and put it back in, take it out of the signal chain and plug it in separately. This is where I discover where the noise and clicks are coming from. After a couple minutes it starts to distort and shuts itself off again.

At this point I plug in to one of the wall warts from another pedal to see if I can replicate these issues. No joy. It's quiet, it doesn't click or pop, and it doesn't shut itself off.

I'm thinking that this pedal just eats batteries and doesn't run very well on them. I think the noise was caused by a low battery charge. In the FAQ for this pedal it says that they recommend a rechargeable battery. I'm thinking this is their way of saying "This pedal eats batteries like Oprah eats cupcakes". :p

But if this pedal doesn't do well with batteries, why do they make such a big deal about how easy it is to change the battery? Why even make it a point. And why not tell people that it doesn't perform well on batteries? This is all assuming that the battery was the cause, but with the troubleshooting, it definitely points to the battery.

What do you guys think?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Could just be a loose wire connection to the battery snap.

3. willsellout

willsellout

I didn't check that. It could be. I'll check tomorrow. I could solder it if need be. I was curious to see if anyone else ran one of these on batteries and had the same issue.

4. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I've been using a Flashback for a while now but only on AC. So the other day I wanted to use it with a battery. I open it up and there's a brand new one in there wrapped in plastic. I take the plastic off and fire up the pedal.

It lasted about 15 minutes before it turns off.

I go get my OneSpot, power it on and it works fine.

I also read in a couple of places that it was very sensitive to voltage and went thru batteries quickly. I guess they weren't kidding.

If I were you, I'd probably call them up and look into it but I bet it's a weak battery problem. I really can't imagine using this pedal with batteries.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thenothing

thenothing

+1

I don't think mine even lasted 10 minutes. I haven't tried it with a real battery since. That being said, I do like this pedal otherwise, but use it as a chorus (via toneprint) primarily.

7. willsellout

willsellout

OK so this is just how this pedal works...AKA it doesn't on batteries:D

Well I have a one spot now and I enjoy the pedal. It would be nice if they would come out and say that it simply shouldn't be used with batteries. I don't think we'll ever see that though:D

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    TC is doing some really dumb stuff these days.

In all fairness the Line 6 Tonecore pedals are the same way. Maybe 15 minutes tops on a battery. Not that I mind, I never use batteries in any if my pedals. Too expensive as I have about 11 on my board right now. But why bother with a battery connector if it's useless anyway?

9. willsellout

willsellout

Or why put such effort to design (and market) an easy access battery compartment if battery power isn't really an option.

I agree that they are doing some dumb stuff.

10. wdinc01

wdinc01

In my observations of the pedal market, usually only boutique pedal makers choose not to include a battery option, and they're very clear about that too. Stuff like "Saving the environment, not using batteries." And they can do that successfully because their market consists of people who'll be using a One Spot or something anyway, for the most part.

T.C. Electronics is more of a mass market company, in my opinion. So rather than limit their market by saying that it doesn't use batteries, they probably built the option in anyway so that people don't feel obligated to get a power supply. Of course, I don't know off the top of my head if a new pedal comes with a wall wart, but if they do then yeah, don't see a point in having a battery option other than marketing.

11. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

Bumping because of a similar issue for which I can't find any info ...

Background: Used pedal from GC, only used with 1Spot at the end of the chain.

I bought a used Flashback from GC, and all was well for a few weeks. Then, suddenly--and in the middle of our first gig--after I turn the pedal off, my signal goes to s**t, as if there's a contact issue, cutting in and out, etc.

I was able to "solve" it by turning the pedal on and off again, and it was fine for a few more practices. Now it seems to do it every time I turn it off ... Has anyone else experienced this?

12. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Freeze comes with a wall wart, mainly because it needs to be isolated, but that's the only time I've gotten a pedal with a PS

13. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I have not had that issue and I've used mine with a 1Spot or VooDoo Labs power.

The only thing I can think of that the pedal might be doing odd is if you hold the button down, you go into tap tempo mode. Maybe you're getting a weird tempo.

Other than that, if it's at the end of a 1Spot chain, is there enough power for the pedal?

14. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

I agree that it's daft giving the option to run off a battery if you can't even get through a 15min showcase gig on batteries. A 9v battery is also a considerable size to accommodate. They could take a leaf out of Mooer's book and eshew the battery completely - then they could make the pedals smaller and lighter.

15. Grrr

Grrr

I am a pedal noob, so I know nothing about nothing.

But my flashback was acting similar to Choperdave's, 1spot into flashback and no other pedals...

Than I did this: I put some duct tape over the battery conector inside the pedal. I am not sure whether that can help at all, but afterwards it has been behaving like it should (it's been a month now).

My logic was that maybe the conector inside is touching the metal cover plate which shortens the positive and negative terminals and causes problems. But I really don't know if that is possible at all!?

(I can get around 45 minutes on a fresh Duracell battery... still useless)

16. ChopperDave

I tried that, too, to no avail ... next up: trying it with just the battery or without other pedals (it's at the end of my OneSpot chain, after 7 other pedals) ... beyond that, anyone know how flexible Guitar Center is on their return policy? Hey, maybe it'll work the day I try to trade it in for a Memory Toy ...

17. ChopperDave

Looks like I've solved it ... All it needed was its own power supply. Boom.

18. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Most if not all of the EHX Nano pedals come with power supplies. I used a Freeze on a non-isolated supply for a long time and it worked fine though many EHX pedals are infamously noisy on shared power.

19. Mortom27

Mortom27

Can anybody coment on which pedal
    Will be best for bass, either the DD-3 by
    Boss or the Flashback?
    Thanks in advanced!!

20. ChopperDave

Sorta-update: I can still have it in a daisy chain, just not with 7 other pedals ... it needs too much power (hence the 15-minute battery life). With 4 others, though, all is well.

21. ChopperDave

I hate to be this guy, but do a search for best delay pedal talkbass and you'll see all the threads.

For the record, though, you're talking about two wildly different pedals.