1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

TC Electronic's RH450 vs. Staccato 51'

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TheRam, Feb 25, 2010.

?

Which would you buy - TC Electronic's RH450 or Staccato 51'?

1. RH450

25 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. Staccato 51'

33 vote(s)
    56.9%
  1. TheRam

TheRam I spend more time on TB than I do practicing ...

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for an amp and I'm into TC Electronic stuff. I love the RH450 and from what I can tell there have been great reviews all around for this amp.

The thing is I like the Staccato 51' ... because its red! Beyond that I can't see any major difference.

I've seen BASSIDA's video and it seems (at least through my PC speakers) that the tweaks that Rocco made are minor and that the Staccato 51' can more or less do what the RH450 can and vice versa.

Is this true?

I'd love to have any input from you guys to help me make a purchase. Thanks!
  2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Search for the thread on the RH450 favorite settings and you'll find some good information there about the differences.
  3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Donovan (a TC dealer) posted up a detailed spec comparison provided by TC regarding these two amps. It's buried somewhere in the previous RH450 thread.

Basically, the two amps are the same regarding features and power, but the Staccato has a different voicing 'baked into' its sound.

1) Bass boosted quite a bit versus the RH450

2) Mids scooped just a touch versus the RH450

3) Treble voiced to extend higher than the RH450 (this is the one difference that can't be EQ'd pretty similarly with the RH450 EQ, since the very high top end is purposely attenuated on the RH450 to provide a more organic, natural top end (versus sizzle).

So, I guess, if you like the more wide, modern tone and like a bit of sizzle in your tone, the Staccato might be better for you.

Maybe Donovan will show up and post those specs again (they talk about the specific mid frequencies that are attenuated, etc.).
  4. Ur2funky

Ur2funky

Well written Ken.

I like that Donovan picked the Staccato over the RH mostly because it's red! Very funny moment in his review video!

I picked the Staccato because it was the only one in stock! But I will appreciate the extra "sizzle"...and I love the red color too!
  5. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

6. Ur2funky

Ur2funky

Yeah, I saw that review. Really poor review, and just doesn't have his facts straight. There's a video with BassIda where you can easily hear the difference between the two, which usually isn't easy to do with videos on the web.

You may notice in the video that she plays her RH450 with her personal settings and they are somewhat close to the Staccato set flat.

Then she moves her settings to the Staccato and it's a little overkill because it's already doing that set flat.

The Staccato is the RH450 tweaked to Rocco's settings as soon as you turn it on (otherwise set flat.) They list the e.q. set points for each version on TC's website (yes, they are different)...you can get the Staccato to sound just like RH450 and almost vise versa...you just can't get the real high-end "sizzle" on the RH450.

I've only tried the Staccato and I'm tickled to death. I think either one would make a lot of bassists happy.

Good luck, hope you love yours too!
  7. TheRam

Thanks guys!

My only fear was that the Staccato'51 was too Hi-Fi and wouldn't be able to do stuff that the RH450 can. But if its the case that it can do everything the RH450 can and more then its a no brainer!

Ps: I love how everyone likes it because its red.
  8. Eublet

Eublet

Neither amp is hi-fi it seems to me. Extreme bass boost on the Staccato, and a treble attenuation on the RH450.
  9. TheRam

Hey guys,

I was reading the Musicians Friend article that Bass Junkie recommended. Ur2funky is right and the review isn't that reliable. I haven't even touched a Staccato '51 an even I know some of the facts are wrong. Anyway under the "description" section they say that "In addition to the sheer tone shaping, Rocco has added a touch of SpectraComp per-string compression to tighten the sound even more." Does anyone know what this means? And is there something I can do if I want less compression?
  10. Eublet

Eublet

I believe that just means the compressos is on by default, but you can turn it off if you wish.
  11. mothra2

mothra2 Supporting Member

I would suggest that the compressor is ALWAYS on, at least in the 450, even if the Spectracomp knob is all the way off.
    All that knob means is that you are or are not adding additional compression to the 'baked in' voice IMO.
    I would assume, from my experience with the 450 that the same would apply to the '51, but I have not used one.
  12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 As we discussed in another thread, that 'power management' thing built into the TC heads acts a bit like a tube preamp and power amp when you push it and dig in a bit, resulting in what many of us call 'give', and that feels quite a bit like a compressor. It impacts every stage of the signal, so it doesn't just kick in as a power safety sort of limiting thing, it is integral to the tone of the amp at every volume, and is also impacted by the input signal level (e.g., digging in or whatever).

I hear this as a general tone feature of the RH450 (and I assume the other heads also... haven't heard them). It is always there, at all volumes. I assume the compressor acts a bit differently (from a technical perspective), and obviously only impacts the input signal, but the resulting tone and feel is similar.

These amps don't feel 'quick' like the Markbass heads, for example, but are more dynamic in that they feel a bit different as you dig in and/or turn them up (similar to a tube amp). This may or may not be a positive, depending on a given player's tone goals. It has nothing to do with 'clean' tone, more with the feel of the notes and how the amp reacts when you dig in or push it.

IMO and IME.
  13. ursus

ursus

I own both. So far I prefer the Staccato with my Berg AE410. I dig the extended treble respons, I think it sounds better for slapping than the RH450. It is bass heavy but that is no problem since you just backing off the bass. First amp I own that I have to do that:) Over all I think the Staccato is punchier and meatier.
  14. JOME77

JOME77

I actually see this as a positive. Of course I'm coming to the TC head from a Thunderfunk head, which really clamps down on the lows. IMO, in the live mix, the slight compression keeps the amp real punchy and tight and really mixes well with the kick.
    I kind of see the TC amp somewhere between the Markbass and Thunderfunk in this area. The perfect blend for me.
  15. pfactor2

pfactor2

Anyone have a comparison between the RH450 or 51 And a Hartke 5500
  16. CAW

CAW

Personally, I'd look to a 750 now than either the 450 or Staccato. They all let you dial in whatever EQ settings you want, regardless of what the flat 'baked' voicing is. And the 750 gives you actual control over the treble vs. the baked treble cut-off points of the 450 and Staccato (Staccato being a bit higher than the 450). And there are other improvements to the settings on the 750 over the first-gen units.

However, the 750 doesn't come in red.
  17. bigdbass

bigdbass Supporting Member

Getting ready to pull the trigger for an RH750 but I must admit that a big part of me wants the Staccato'51 just because it's red and associated with Mr. Prestia.
  18. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Gold Supporting Member

I've never been a fan of Class D amps, but I must say that I'm REALLY wanting an RH750 based on the excellent video review on Music123's site.

It looks like one heck of an amp. Sorry to get off topic, but since Bigdbass opened the RH750 gate, I figured I'd walk through :)