TC-Helicon VoiceLive Play GTX, anyone try it on bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jason Hall, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Jason Hall

Jason Hall

Ok, I admit I am a multi-effects junkie who must try every new product that I can find. That said... has anyone tried the TC-Helicon VoiceLive Play GTX with their bass yet? I looked around and couldn't find any solid threads on the subject. It has 10 guitar amps (boo) and a selection of various modulation effects like chorus, flanger, etc. I was thinking of picking up a VoiceLive play for vocal training and effects but then I saw this bugger and had to ask if it sounded like poop and cuts the bass or if it's any good? :D

Here's a link if you've never heard of it: http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/voicelive-play-gtx/

Edit: Also, anyone try the VoiceLive 2? More money than I want to spend, but the extra buttons seem nice. http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/voicelive-2/
  2. Jason Hall

Jason Hall

Aww no one?
    Here's some general stuff I've found. I've heard the harmony tracking for the bass is pretty much useless and so is the tuner. I really don't care about either of those... what I'm wondering is if the effects sound any good on bass to warrant adding it to the pedal chain? I'm guessing not... and this is kinda of a tricky item to try out at ye local guitar center.

It's sad that these items aren't made to be "dual purpose"... I can understand not making a bass only product due to marketing or whatever but c'mon... 1 bass amp and effects that don't suck tone... can't be that hard!
  3. ckdhaven

ckdhaven

I use a voicelive 2 but I have our guitarist play through my vocal machine.. It's the only way it can "pick up" the harmony notes unless you manually set the key and harmonies you want. (for each song)

The machines are awesome but they are note designed for us bass players..
  4. gumtown

gumtown Previously gumtownbassman Supporting Member

I am currently researching the same unit (voicelive play) and wondering if to get the gtx version or just the basic one.
    I am not interested in the guitar effect processing side of it (unless they added an equivalent of VT-Bass), but wondering if the signal input or midi in (i use Roland GR midi synth gear) would produce good vocal harmonies from the bass notes, the midi side can be transposed up.
    Anyone with thoughts and experiance at vocal harmony units using bass as the tone source, I do understand that some require atleast 3rds to detect harmonies, but would just root notes do?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gumtown

gumtown Previously gumtownbassman Supporting Member

Apparantly it won't work just on bass, you need atleast two note chords in 3rds to pick out an intelligent auto harmony.

You need to plug in your guitarist.
    FWIW: I ended up getting the Boss VE-5 mounted on the mic stand.