TC RH450 suddenly loud fan??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Hi Guys, I've had my TC Electronic RH450 for around 4 year's now, and I've never had this problem before?

Normally when I turn the amp on, it is silent as a mouse! you cannot hear any fan noise.. nothing! but I turned it on this evening for a practice session, and straight away the fan is on and very audible! does anyone know what this might be?

Thanks in advance! :)

Bill.
  2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Is it an air sound or a mechanical one? If it's the latter it could be the bearings are wearing out and it's about to fail. You should probably replace it.
  3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

It sounds like the fan inside it.. doesn't sound mechanical.. like the sound of your laptop or computer fan coming on if it was overheating or something.. ??
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

When was the last time the dust bunnies were cleaned out of the amp case?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

yes, check the dust-bunnies, but fan noise usually means fan is croaking.
    Now here's the good news: These fans are likely very easliy found on line and likely are connected by a snap connector, not solder. May be very easy fix.
  7. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

....... Never :bag:

So you suggest i take it apart and give it a good dusting?
  8. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Right ok, to be honest, the noise doesn't bother me too much, it just makes me concerned as to what is causing it.. but either way, i will be looking into cleaning it.. would appreciate anyone to guide me through taking it apart and cleaning it.. without breaking it!! :help:
  9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Yes it is overdue. A vacuum and a soft paint brush to loosen the tougher stuff without doing any damage.
    You can use the exhaust from a "shop vac" as well then finish with vacuum.

Never service one, retired before they hit any repair bench. Most amps will have a top cover to gain access.
  10. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Yikes. I had an RH450 for 3 years, and when I moved to the RH750, it was a stark difference that I could hear any fan noise at all (as quiet as the 750 is). Definitely be bothered by it. If it was dead silent before, it should be again.

There was at least one take-apart thread with pictures...I think 2.

Looks like the pictures are gone...

Here's a page that has some pictures of which screws get the outer case off http://basschat.co.uk/topic/207880-...ng-the-memory-buttons-and-rotary-knobs-guide/