1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

TC RH450 vs. Ampeg PF800

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

I currently own both of these heads. Just wanted to give my opinion on this and see if it makes sense to anyone else. I'm actually trying to decide which one I'm going to send back and which one I'm going to keep. I tested both of these through a Aguilar GS112, Avatar Neo 410, Bergantino AE212 and Ampeg SVT 410HLF using a Highway 1 Jazz w/Aguilar 70's pickups, 2010 American Deluxe P, L2000 and Stingray 4HH.

Tone is subjective, but I can get a nice tone out of either of these amps. The RH450 is a little warmer due to the hi-pass filter and the Ampeg , while also warm sounding , can also go into hi-fi territory. Both amps sounded good with the GS112 and Avatar 410 and 410HLF. The RH450 honestly did not sound good at all with the AE212. I don't know what it was, but it just wasn't happening. In contrast the PF800 really came alive with the PF800. Probably the best match for the PF 800 that I've found so far, but I still haven't tried it with my Heritage 810

Now i've heard all about how TC uses some magic with the RH450 to make a 236 watt amp sound like it's 450 watts. This is what I found and the main reason I started this thread. The RH450 to my ears is probably every bit as loud as the 800 watt Ampeg. However, when I crank the Ampeg, I can really feel it moving some air. The RH450, while plenty loud, does not really seem to be really pushing the speakers. So perceived loudness does equal real power ? Does this make sense to anyone else or am I crazy ?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    To me, perceived loudness does not equal real power when the perceived loudness is a result of compression and cutting off lows. Obviously I'd say keep the Ampeg ;) but even if I wasn't an endorser, I'd say it because I'm not a fan of amps that produce sound digitally, nor am I a fan of amps that use hijinks to accomplish their goals.

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

So all technical talk aside, do you agree with me about not being able to feel the power of the RH450 ?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Absolutely. I've played them before and totally get what you're saying. I've also heard this from folks who used to use them and switched to something else. OTOH, I do know folks who are perfectly happy with them, but it's not the first time I've heard this complaint.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Cool, thanks for the info.

7. Major Softie

Major Softie

Lows are where the big power is required. Pushing more mids and highs makes it possible to be perceived as louder while needing less amps. This is why guitar players with 50 tube watts can bury a 400 watt bass amp.

8. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

I loved the sound and features of my rh450 but for some reason it always seemed like I was pushing it too hard at gigs.

My first reaction when I plugged it in at home (I could only try it quietly in the shop) was "if this is 450w I'll eat my shoe". And well we all know the story now don't we.

I kept it for a while for practicing and rehearsing, but I just felt like it was a bit on the gutless side.

Plenty of people swear by them, and good luck to those people. I'm just reporting my experience.

Mike