1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

teach me bass guitar

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by wrench45us, Dec 27, 2012.

1. wrench45us

wrench45us

the Roy Vogt DVD series

I got some Christmas money to buy more books/DVDS

What I'd like to know is how lessons focus on working with chord progressions and walking vs. touching on various styles and techniques.

Walking working improvisation within a song progression and forms where I really want to focus so I'm wondering if 'Bass Encyclomedia' and the Sher 'Foundation Exercises for Bass' may have more of that focus.

Please don't bother mentioning other books/DVDs esp re: walking as I have most of them

2. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I can tell you that there are chapters specifically related to walking bass, chord tones/arpeggios, modal studies, etc. The series is designed to take a Beginner Level player (non-player) through an Intermediate level player who can read/knows the notes all over the neck, understands a number of styles and techniques and other approaches. I would check out the Teach Me Bass Guitar clips on Youtube and on the Teach Me Bass Guitar website to see if this feels like a good fit for you. Of course, TMBG comes with a 30 day money back guarantee so if you find you don't like it you can always return it.
    I have copies of "The Bass Encyclopedia" and a lot of Chuck Sher's books and they are all fine sources of information. There are lots of good places to get the information you need, but I would say check out TMBG and see if the style of presentation and interaction of the DVD system works for you.
    Thanks for thinking of us! :)

3. wrench45us

wrench45us

thanks for the prompt response

I will check out the you tube vids

4. charliefreak

charliefreak

^^^^^^^^^^

This is why talk bass is awesome. Roy, I borrowed a copy of tmbg in high school and it really uplifted my exoerience learning bass! It is very clear and relevant to what I was learning in my theory classes at the time making me a better player student and player. Thanks for giving us that! I'd like to attend your camp sometime, maybe the fourth or fifth one tho ;)

Cheers!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MrFrancis

MrFrancis

About to order this actually...thanks so much Roy

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Good call...Roy's awesome in every way!

8. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

Roy and I practice almost every night. Myself in person and Roy is on the TV of course. Love the lessons, Love the loops, love the band, love the guests and MC (whew/I mean inspiring!) and how the series has helped me in everyway. Curently perfecting lesson 8 and pondering number 9 after roughly 4 months with TMBG series.

9. wrench45us

wrench45us

so is every lesson a song, a genre or ??? a lesson about something that's engendered in a song

I looked at the videos I could find online and it looked like every lesson was built around a song/style
    It looked like if you went through you might be a very well-rounded player, but right now I'm more focused on walking standards and blues and learning to improvise from a lead sheet.

I'm still torn because it looks like they really did the play along thing right with displays and 1.2 speed and my wiser friend tells me he advanced the fastest when he played along -- esp dropping the habit of restarting after a mistake.

10. Kuroth

Kuroth

I just purchased it as well

11. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    The way the lessons are structured there is about 30-45 minutes of instructional material that is then solidified with 2 songs per lessons. For example, there is a tune called California Groove that teaches how to read and count 8th note syncopations a la Carl Kaye, a tune called Getting Funky in the Phonepoles that teaches you the notes in the ledger lines from frets 7-12, etc. The Jazz material is definitely there, but if you can already play well and have a lot of control over the instrument you can check out this material which is good as well.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20080820040653/http://www.brucegertz.com/walkin.html

12. shackled

shackled

Yeah, I got it for xmas. Along with a new bass.
    Hope to start soon... So few hours in a day. :bag:

13. apollo18

apollo18

Roy ...
    I have the DVD's but I noticed that the guitar version is on the apple App Store. Is the bass version going to be available on the App Store ?

14. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    Working on it, along with streaming/subscription. Stay tuned.....

15. apollo18

apollo18

Any update Roy? :)

16. matey

matey

im quite enjoying it up to the second disc

17. Outsider

Outsider

I've only recently discovered TMBG, I'm super keen on getting it but it's pretty expensive (especially with the ZAR <-> USD exchange rate). When will the streaming/subscription version come out? I'd be super keen to try that out.

18. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    In process, I will try to get an update and let you know.
    Yes, it's a pricy course, but it's made to substitute for about 2 years of private instruction. In my studio in Nashville that's about $3,000 if you took 50 thirty minute lessons a year for two years, so cost-wise it's not too bad, although there's no doubt it's a sizable investment.

19. Outsider

Outsider

That would be awesome.

As much as that makes sense, it's just the up front commitment that scares me (plus the $47.45 shipping cost to get it to my part of the world). Which makes a digital subscription far more tempting for me as I can pay for chunks as I need them (spreading out the cost) and it will eliminate the cost of shipping a box to me.

20. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    Understood, I'll let you know. Keep in mind there's a 30 day money back guarantee if you elect to try the physical copy and decide it's not for you.

21. Outsider

Outsider

Cool. I've only heard good things about TMBG, so it is on my wishlist.
    Will keep a lookout for a subscription version.
    Thanks