Teacher in Portland, OR

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by kyledj, Jan 25, 2014.

1. kyledj

kyledj

After practicing on my own the past few months and lots of reading, I am learning how essential a teacher is. I played electric bass guitar for a number of years, but just recently picked up the double bass.

I'm not sure if this is the right place, (if it isn't, please remove this post), but after looking around online, and not having any local contacts in the area, I am having a hard time finding a teacher. I'm sure there are many, but it is hard for me to just arbitrarily pick one. I am especially interested in learning proper technique, as I type in my day job and rock climb, so am likely more susceptible to tendon/hand issues.

I am particularly interested in jazz, but know in the beginning it makes little difference (maybe?). Anyone have any recommendations for a beginner interested in honing in on proper technique? If not, is there anything in particular I should be looking for?
  2. bassist1962

bassist1962

Contact Tim Acott. He teaches both bass guitar and upright. I can't find his number, but I know he gigs all the time, usually at the Laurel Thirst.
  3. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    You can check AFM Local 99: http://www.afm.org/locals/info/number/99

They have members that teach jazz & classical. Even though I'm not a symphonic musician when I first got a double bass I took lessons from a classical player.

Wally
  4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

http://davecaptein.com/Welcome.html

I've heard him play several times and think he's a nice player. Much more importantly, every time I meet a good bassist from Portland, they say he is their teacher.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oren

oren

+1 on Dave Captein. A very thoughtful and insightful musician and a really good guy.
  7. ejnachtrab

ejnachtrab

Dan Schulte is a great player and a very nice guy.
  8. Barongket

Barongket

You should contact the Portland Youth Philharmonic if you're in high school or younger; they offer free bass lessons.
  9. sidewaysbass

sidewaysbass

Andre is the man. He comes with some quirks, but his knowledge of the instrument, technique, and jazz history is without compare. I was lucky enough to study with him for a year...improved my playing tremendously. He has a studio at Reed College.

I also give beginning double bass lessons ;) at a reasonable price. PM me if you need more information.
  10. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Glen Moore has a very unique approach. I only took one lesson with him but it affected me deeply. I'm assuming he still teaches there.
  11. damonsmith

damonsmith

Never met him, but his playing is amazing. Dresser passed on some of his exercises to me, so a big +1.

Another beautiful player and very nice man - he plays on a OOP Hat Hut LP by George Sams.
    Looks like you can DL it here:
    http://inconstantsol.blogspot.com/2012/09/george-sams-nomadic-winds.html

Both are incredible choices - take regular lessons with whoever is cheaper, and every so often with whoever cost more. It would be shame to not take advantage of both resources.
  12. Barongket

Barongket

Tim Gilson
  13. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Andre St. James is a great player and a good teacher, though I found he wasn't quite right for me in some ways; maybe a little too old fashioned

Damian Erskine is a fantastic player and very good teacher. He teaches at PSU, and is a true virtuoso. I only took a few lessons with him, but he was generous, thoughtful, and very helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M29K5rjfkc

http://damianerskine.com/
  14. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

Does Damian play French or German?
  15. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

I realize this is a slightly old thread, but David Freissen came up on my iPod this morning,

(Duke Jordan's "The Great Session")

I should have mentioned him earlier. Has a slightly unconventional teaching approach that works really well for some people. Wonderful human being and very accomplished bassist.
  16. MR PC

MR PC

More than only accomplished, IMHO! I's say he is more like phenomenal, and a real trailblazer on the instrument. Though when I went to him he was very deep into religious philosophy that got in the way for me. I think he has more recently softened his approach to teaching in that regard.
  17. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

I haven't talked to him in a long time, but sent him an email today wishing him well. I never got the religious thing from him, but I have heard that before from other people.
  18. MR PC

MR PC

Yeah, I went to him in the mid '84, he was pretty fired up on a philosophy agenda, not much sense of humor then. I heard that has since changed. I'd think that it it wasn't for him, we wouldn't be hearing Esperanza playing. Great and humble cat.
  19. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

I studied with him in 2000 and we did talk a little philosophy as both of us are inclined to do but certainly nothing was forced. As a teacher David is a severe taskmaster and he requires an extremely serious commitment...he's very passionate and very intense. He's done the work himself and expects no less from you. I was practicing a focused 5-8 hours a day and sometimes felt I was still coming in unprepared. No teacher has ever given me more or gotten more out of me. I love the guy.