TecAmp Puma 300: Anyone Heard One?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Type-55, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

This amp has everything I'm looking for in terms of features and weight. Only problem I can't find any info on them. The TecAmp website info is ok.
    How close in sound is this to the 500?
  2. caligula

caligula

Not much info I can provide, unfortunately. Only my 0.2 cent.
    I have the Puma 900 and as far as I know, the 300 1HU (or is it UH?) is identical with the 500 and the 900 model.
    I haven't heard the 300 and have first hand experience only from gigging the 900.

Better wait for others (KJung) to add more meaningful info.
  3. Type-55

Thanks for the info.
    Anyone else?
  4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Not familiar with the 300. The old 350 was quite a different thing than the original Puma500. I would guess the 300 sounds identical to the 500 (the current 500 and 900 sound identical to me). Same size and weight pretty much, so I guess all I would say is that unless you are on a real tight budget, I'd spring for the 500 (especially if you use a single 8ohm cab).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Type-55

I think the 300 will be difficult to find without ordering it.
    Budget is a concern.
    Thanks
  7. foderaman

foderaman

I have a older Puma 112 Combo with a Puma 350 power amp in it.The 350 was a A/B power amp while the new 300 is a Digital power amp so I would figure it would sound very similar to the newer Puma 500 and 900 but with lesser power.
  8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Yeah, I wouldn't think that Austin Bass Traders or the FretSpot (the two US TecAmp dealerships) would carry these, since again, it seems you would lose more than you would gain.

If you want it crisp and clean and are on a budget, the GK MB500 is pretty impressive. Not quite as pure and clean as the Puma, but close enough for half the price IMO.
  9. Type-55

When reading the posts on the Puma stuff, current 500, the tone is described as full, warm, smooth top, not harsh with good detail. That's what I'm looking for in a small head.
    Never been a GK fan. Just sold a Walkabout. Looking for something in that tone range but a little tighter down low but still warm and thick if possible. Might not be possible. Tried a GB Streamliner was good but looking other options. Been a longtime Eden fan but hear mixed things on the WTX500.
  10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The GK tone is a bit 'over the top' for me personally, but the EQ is voiced nicely (actually the our band is quite similar to the Puma front end). The tubes in the Fusion version have a pretty subtle effect, but do tend to take the edge off that GK brightness and grind. So, the MBF500 might be worth a look.

The closest thing to the current Puma tone was the old Markbass F1/F500. However, they are discontinued, and the Big Bang that replaced them is a bit more aggressive, from what I understand.

IF you dig the Streamliner and Walkabout (different sounding amps, but both in that 'warm and fat and chewy and tubey' sort of tone), you might check out the Aguilar TH500. That is the amp I ended up with. I totally dig the Puma tonality (I again was a field tester for the Puma update amps), but the tone in my head moved more toward a bit more traditional tone. The TH500 doesn't sparkle as much in the upper treble as many amps, but it is just a fat, meaty, full sounding beast down low, uber reliability and build quality, great service and support, and a very 'interactive' front end that brings the Walkabout and Streamliner to mind (i.e., there is as much tonal variation in the gain control as with the EQ, and everything impacts everything else).

Again, not a pure, clean amp, but warm and still quite articulate. It is more similar to the Walkabout than the Streamliner. A bit less bloomy down low than the Walkabout (a good thing), but not quite as sweet up top (for some, a bad thing). MUCH more punchy and forceful than the Streamliner.

That all being said, quite a different tonality than the more 'direct into the mixing board' feel of the Puma IMO and IME.

Edit: If you are on the budget, the little TH350 is VERY impressive, and will keep up with most amps rated at 500 watts. You lose a bit of power, the second speakon, and the effects loop. Otherwise, identical tone and front end to the TH500 at a VERY good price. If you purchase Aguilar on Musician's Friend, you need to call them to get the typical 10% or 15% discount that they run almost constantly. Aguilar does not participate in that, but MF will give you the discount if you ask for it on the phone.

And finally!!!! There is always the wonderful, classic Markbass LMIII. Definitely has that 'clean but warm' full range tonality you seem to be looking for.
  11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

If you're willing, the Mesa Prodigy is a really good alternative to the Walkabout.
  12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

He is on a budget. You could get a Puma900 for the cost of that amp. Nice amp though, and reasonably small and light given it is a tube amp.
  13. Type-55

I think I will try the TH350. It seems close and after all, nothing is perfect.
    Thanks for all the responses. Good info as usual.
  14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hope you dig it. It is an impressive little amp with a VERY good DI. The tone controls take just a bit of time to get used to. The bass and midrange can really change the entire nature of the amp combined with the gain, from reasonably clean and full range, to very mid present, to DUB huge, all within a very narrow boost and cut range. Just a smidge of boost or cut of the bass control really changes the nature of the amp, and the gain control adds a lot of 'tube feel and a bit of give' to the amp. Wonderful for me.

Start with the drive control off. That is a unique control, mostly an EQ knob that tightens the bass and reduces upper treble for a 'sealed classic cab' tone, and then eventually adding a secondary gain stage for mild to moderate overdrive.

Hopefully, you can purchase from Musician's Friend, with that wonderful 30 day no questions asked return policy. If it doesn't float your boat, give the GK MBF500 a try.
  15. Type-55

Thanks Ken. Great info. I appreciate your input on this as usual.