Tecamp s210 or s212

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by THBass, Nov 21, 2012.

1. THBass

THBass

Hi
    I plan to buy a new amp/ cab with Tecamp Puma 500 as cab buy i doubt with cabs. I have seen Fretspot youtube video s210/s212/s115 and i have dudes about them. I play jazz, funk and r&b music at moderate volumen on 4 string bass, bassically fingerstylenstyle and I dont like agresive mids , prefer fat and deep lows , smooth mids and clear highs.
    Thanks for your help and opinions

2. KJung

KJung

The revised s212 (which is less mid forward than the original model) should fit your needs perfectly. The current model (assuming they haven't revised it again in the last couple of years, has a large rear port, and is tuned to go a bit deeper than the original, and also has a bit smoother upper midrange)

The s212 is so small and lightweight, and you get significantly more low end and wump, I can't really see going for the s210 unless you never, ever played loud, or were super sensitive to the size of the box. IMO and IME.

On both those cabs, the switchable crossover point allows you to go from a true 'one way' tone, to a sweet, traditional tweeter top end, to a grindy, bright, rough top end (there is a combo crossover point/volume knob inside the right cub handle.... pretty cool).

3. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    +1 to what Ken said, and to add a bit, it kinda depends on your definition of "aggressive mids." I haven't played the S210, but have gigged the XS112, S212, and M212. I previously gigged Berg AE210s along with some other stuff. The newer S212 (rear ported) has a lot of low-mid going on. The M212 goes deeper as it is a bigger box. Both can be made to sound a bit rolled off or nasty in the upper mids depending on the tweeter control setting. On Donovan's video I preferred the S212 over both the S210 and S115 but depends on your preferences. The good thing is that the Puma 500 can push around the sound pretty easily so most any cab will sound good. If you want low end though, S212 wins over S210. And if you're trying to be heard in a mix, mids are your friend and the Tecamps are fairly present.

4. THBass

THBass

Thanks for your quick responses. I spent 90% time playing at home, like al the people , except professionals, then i think i need the better sensitive cab. Are there differences in this two cabs?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung

Not sure what you mean by 'sensitive' (which typically means 'louder per watt'). The only advantage IMO to the 210 is that it is a bit smaller. If you mostly play at home, that would obviously be fine, and it will still do a moderate size gig, assuming you don't do a lot of slapping or digging in (that can result in needing a larger cab and more power than you would think to remain uncompressed, etc.).

All Tecamp cabs come in 4ohms and 8ohms. With a cab as small as the s210, and playing at home mostly, I would go with the 8ohm. That way, if for some reason you start to gig a lot, you can add a second and still use any head (i.e., not get into the 'below 4ohms' thing).

With the S212, if you are using the typical 500 watt into 4ohms or so micro head (like the Puma500), I would suggest 4ohms. With the 212 and 500 watts, you can do almost any gig.

That being said, it sounds like an 8ohm s210 will be a good box for you, given your situation.

7. THBass

THBass

Sensitive: I need a good quality at low volumes,not only at high volume then i need a sensible cab to get the same tone. Tecamp web says for the S212 and S210 the following

Sensitivity: 101 dB. I think high values is better for my purposes

I like a bit more the S212 tone, Nostatic says the same and my local provider says that it prefer S212 because in flat mode (amp) the cabs deliver low frecuencies naturally, without EQ.

If you say S212 i can do almast any gig i prefer S212 .I think i will never use another cab because i have an 410 EBS cab for loud situations that are not very frecuent.

I think i will choose Puma 500 / S212 4ohms