Tech 21 Bass VT?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pattyløve, Nov 16, 2012.

1. pattyløve

pattyløve

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering, D'addario
    So in my quest to find a tubey OD pedal, ive done countless searches on this pedal and find it reviews quite nicely! Everyone seems to be pretty happy with it Although I just couldnt find enough info on how it work for my application so i thought id seek help from those who have owned it.
    For the 'rockier' half of our set, both me and our tour manager felt that the bass could have just a bit of grit and dirt to just 'pop' on top of the guitars that little bit. Im not looking for a grungy, dirty overdrive, just a warm tubey 'nudge'.

One thing im worried about is this pedal sucking mids out of my tone (although it does have a mid control at 500hz i guess). We tried the sansamp BDDI and it just didnt work whatsoever - When turned on, it just took out all that middle fundamental frequencies and just added rumble and high end sizzle which was undesirable. Will the bass VT have a little more mids in this sense? Even without dialling any in on the knob? Im guessing because it has defeatable cab sim, i should be able to turn off this scoop sound but just thought id double check.

Also, is it a good pedal just for a 'always on' natural tubey tone? I dont want it be overly dirty, just a bit hairier i guess. And i found the BDDI very lifeless and unnatural in my band setting so im hoping it has a little more 'character' (exucse the pun! :smug: )

Thanks in advanced!

2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I don't own the VT, but I've obsessively researched it. And I have owned two BDDIs. And I feel I know exactly the tone you're looking for--especially with regard to mids.

I think you're exactly on target. It has a mid control and a cab sim defeat. This should work. Alternately, you could try the SansAmp Para Driver. It also has a mid control. But I think you're going to be happiest with the VT.

Alternatley, there's always tube-based ODs like the EBS Valve Drive. Or there's the analog B3K. But those are kind of expensive.

Get the VT. I think that's what I'm gonna do.

3. Fuzz Aldrin

Fuzz Aldrin

I don't know what the mid control is set at, but I love mids and I think this pedal has plenty of them. I usually set mids at 1 o'clock, bass and treble at 11 o'clock. I think the character knob is key and turning it a little can make a big difference. It is no replacement for an Ampeg SVT, but it is probably as close as you are going to get with a pedal.

4. Massimo636

Massimo636

This pedal sounds like exactly what you want. Set the drive probably around noon. The newer version has a cabinet simulator button that you'll probably want to turn off. Start with a setting like D McCauley suggested with bass at 11, mid at 1, treble at 11, and character at noon. That will be a somewhat flat setting at that point with a little bit of tube-like grit. It's a great pedal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cardboardJoe

cardboardJoe

7. krstko

krstko

I have a VT and it's almost always on. It can get you a really nice tube like OD, but I mostly use it just to get a little more tube like sound. When the EQ is set flat, it is just a bit mid scooped, but that can be really easly fixed as the EQ is really sensitive :)

If you are looking for just a slight OD you should also check Pork Loin. I don't own one (I wish I would) but I've heard so much good things about it.

8. Ben Santora

Ben Santora

I have this pedal and I would never sell it. I'm probably different from many players in that I use it at home with a mixer as part of my stereo system for playing along with cd's. So, though I don't use it with an actual bass amp, I'm very tuned into it in a hi-fi sense. It has plenty of mids, and plenty of overdrive, but the controls are so interactive that you can get almost anything from it. I use it with a warm, bassy setting for my fretless and with scooped mids for my Rickenbacker, but the mids are definitely there. You can't go wrong with this!
    All the best.

9. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

Be sure to get the v2 with the speaker sim button, it makes all the difference!

10. mouthmw

mouthmw

+1

I never turn mine off. It's a great great pedal.