Tech 21 Para Driver PRAISE!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Aug 18, 2011.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Hi!

After experiencing the tech 21 VT bass pedal for a year I bought a Para driver and just wanted to share with you mi view on it:

Its a superior machine.

Why? Because you get XLR out, you have parametric mids and blend knob, so, you can dial in the same exact sound as you get with a VT bass and MUCH MUCH more... I really can't understand why there isn's more love shown around here for the Para driver.

You are getting a VT bass with XLR out, a blend knob and para metric mids... This thing is awesome!

If you're thinking about a character series pedal... just give the para driver a go. REALLY, it's that good.

I enjoy the VT bass sound but, this just gives you much more...
  2. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac

You're among friends, trust me, but we're a quiet bunch. Rather than push the superiority of the PDDI in everyone's faces we choose instead to insert random subversive remarks in the various BDDI threads. We're gaining numbers and soon we will have an army big enough to take down the BDDI fortress from the inside!

Or something.
  3. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

Glad you found one near you heavyfunkmachin!

And, I wholeheartedly agree! Add me to the list of Para Driver appreciators.

Though I just sold mine (almost to you ;) ), it was my favorite EQ/DI of those I've tried (several). Just a bit more likable for me than the Tonehammer, and only because it has a wider mid sweep, and is a bit smaller/lighter. (Both are pretty awesome in their own rights.) I found I wasn't using the bass, treble or drive controls much in my setup, which is why I sold it.

Mid sweepable eq'ing is indispensable on bass, which is why I use a single pedal dedicated to just that one function.

I do kinda miss the DI on the Para though. Hmmm, sellers remorse...?
  4. loopee

loopee Gold Supporting Member

Which dedicated single pedal for mids are you referring to?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Vlad5

EWS BMC

I run 18v into it, makes for a pretty awesome mid-sweepable 'clean' boost. I'm currently using it after my dirt effects to boost low-mids.
  7. loopee

loopee Gold Supporting Member

thanks......I saw that pedal a while back and couldn't remember what it was called...I think I'll get one
  8. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

LOL

I love Tech 21 as well, and I have my own favorite pedals that are away from the norm on bass.
  9. bring the noise

bring the noise

I have been thinking about one of these pedals for awhile now and have a question. I have a amp with a simple 3 band eq and was wondering if you can use it just for the eq when not wanting to use the tube emulation? Is that what the blend knob does? Thanks!
  10. bring the noise

bring the noise

11. swspiers

swspiers Gold Supporting Member

You can absolutely do that! But you might want to play with the blend anyway- it can totally change the tonal character of what you're doing.

I replaced a Tonehammer with the PDDI. Best move I made so far. The TH is a great pedal, but the PDDI suits my needs a lot better. I use it as a pre-amp into a Crown XLS100.
  12. chessrocks

chessrocks

It's a nice pedal, but I find it somewhat of a one-trick pony (maybe like a 1 1/2 trick pony) in terms of it's tone.

It does that sansamp, mid-scooped thing, and you can sort of dial that tone down with some extreme EQ'ing ... which, to me, kind of limits it's usefulness.

But if that's a sound you like, then ... it's a great pedal; it's easily the best and most useful one they make when it comes to "that sound," due to the sweepable mids. I tried messing around with the VT Bass and I was like ... ***? There's just not much control here at all. It's like plug in to it ... and if you don't like the sound, plug in to something else, because there's not much in the way of tone shaping there, if you're used to something like the PDDI.
  13. bring the noise

bring the noise

Thank for the posts.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've been saying this for years. Welcome aboard.
  15. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    Yes you can. Just don't get frisky with the Drive control.
  16. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    I think he's referring back to the PDDI. Although Yamaha's NE-1 is a mid-only preamp.
  17. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I've been A\Bing my para driver & programmable today, both are great... EXTREMELY clean DI, no hiss

I need one in front of my Eden Navigator which is a hiss monster.
  18. raul

raul

you people! ahhhh! i'm still trying to figure out...BDDI...Paradriver...PBDDI...i want the most bestest tone shaper with great options...and a ballsy sound to compliment my GK 1001RBII...
  19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Expectation Is The Root of All Suffering. Supporting Member

Are you guys saying you can get the *exact same* tone out of the para driver that's in the VT? I owned the SABDDI & para driver years ago and I cant remember if they sound the same as the VT. I love my VT, but added mid control and DI is never a bad thing.
  20. Vlad5

Nope, EWS BMC... check post #5 above. ;)
  21. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I'm in on the Paradrive. Will get one ASAP, to use with my bass rig as a DI (I already have a PBDDI mid-chain) when needed. It'll also be my acoustic guitar DI/tone shaper.