1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tech-21 Red Ripper Review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sillyfabe, Jul 30, 2011.

1. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Hello there fellow TB'ers! I have up for review a Tech-21 Red Ripper. This little box is a fuzzbox with a powerful active 3-band EQ, buffered bypass with quiet switching and is the same size as the VT Bass and others like it....here is the official link:

TECH 21 - RED RIPPER

The thing that separates this fuzz from others (besides the awesome paintjob) is the RIP knob. Its not a synth, envelope filter or laser but can act like it if you set it right. The RIP and DRIVE act in tandem meaning the DRIVE tells the RIP how much to open as well as your playing dynamics. Also its all ANALOG so its gonna sound awesome

Another noteworthy mention: it has a button to activate a Low-Pass Filter to allow more bass if need be.

ALL CLIPS: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz with Rotosound Funkmaster Strings, fingerstyle > pedalboard > monster cable thingy to my PC > Audicity

ALL CLIPS START WITH LPF OFF THEN ON!

Clean:
    MP3 Player SoundClick

RR: EQ at noon: RIP off, DRIVE noon:
    MP3 Player SoundClick

RR: EQ at noon: RIP noon, DRIVE 1:30:
    MP3 Player SoundClick

RR: EQ at noon: RIP 3 oclock, DRIVE MAX:
    MP3 Player SoundClick

RR: EQ at noon: RIP MAX, DRIVE MAX:
    MP3 Player SoundClick

Overall I really dig this pedal for some synthy-fuzz, fuzzy or crazy sounding tones. I have tried many fuzzes and like the uniqueness about it. It kinda of reminds me of a Prunes and Custard when the RIP is about 1o clock and can get crazier the the PnC can IMHO.

Score: 5/5

If anyone wants any clips/comparisons to what I have or clips of this with anything else I have I'll be more than happy to oblige.
  2. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    How is the bypass? Everything else I own has true bypass....and there's not many good music stores I can go to in this area to try it out. I guess what I'm really wondering is, how much will it effect tones while deactivated?
  3. nismaniac

nismaniac

I really like what I hear with this pedal, thanks for the sound clips and review!
  4. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Thanks for the demo SB, I like the top-end oscillations w/o low pass engaged. I imagine in the loop of your GR it probably really gets trippy on the top end. Yep, I'm going to have to get one of those bad boys.
  5. BassBrass

BassBrass

I've had one since last Christmass (and it's red) and it competed with Prunes and Custard until things evolved on my board so I could fit both! Each has it's own envelope frequency, and often the ripper needs adjustments on the low end, volume, rip & drive depending on what's going into it, while P&C I can leave alone because it's early in chain as a mid-y overdrive and is always the same. Somehow the natural organic quality of P&C could never be topped by the Ripper, but Ripper is much fatter by itself than the P&C. P&C into Ripper is Excellent!
  6. K2Graham

K2Graham

Awesome review... not that I think you would but I don't suppose you have some sort of envelope filter controlled by an expression pedal (like a xerograph or ehx enigma etc) as I'm looking for some sort of distortion/fuzz to go with something like that, cheers
  7. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    We use a high quality buffer in our pedals. We do not use true bypass. Here is some info from our website:
    TECH 21 - TECH NOTES
  8. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Thanks...I was REALLY contemplating it while my Sansamp Bass Driver was being shipped to me....now I'm not sure how much I would need it. I'm loving the Bass Driver. I need to see if I can find a Red Ripper around here that I can try out to see if I can make enough new sounds on it to shell out the extra cash.
  9. sillyfabe

It's not true bypass but the bypass system and switching system are second to none! After owning this for a while it really is an amazing toneshaper and overall aggressive bass fuzz. Love the Moogie sounds I get from it
  10. Von Felgenhauer

Von Felgenhauer

I'm still upset I traded it away.
  11. sillyfabe

sorry! get another one and RIP your tone to shreds! :bassist:
  12. burno70

burno70

Mine crapped out twice - was repaired by Tech 21 UK then crapped out again. I lost patience and the shop offered a swap so I chose a Swollen Picke.

The pickle is ace - lots more power although for me needs to be blended. I still miss the articulation of the ripper and wish I had room for both.

May well get another one at some point in the future.
  13. gndboy

gndboy Supporting Member

I play fingerstyle and I love my Red Ripper. Muting is done with the outside of my right pinky as required. This pedal is great for dynamics, and it fits me perfectly. I go easy on the 'Level' control; the three tone controls are self-explanatory. The R.I.P. knob controls the amount of effect based on how hard the strings are played. The 'drive' control is self-explanatory. The 'LPF' button does a fair approximation of a clean low frequency channel along with all the zing up higher.

With the 'R.I.P.' control down around nine o'clock, and the 'drive' control goosed up around ten or eleven o'clock, this pedal can give a very good approximation of a slightly-fuzzy envelope filter. Gonna try it with the Mutron. When not hit too hard, the Red Ripper is a good plain boost.