1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

TECH 21 VT BASS DLX OVERDRIVE IN ONLY SOME FRECUENCIES

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Music_for_life, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

I am getting good studio results recording with the sansamp, I use it fot the mids and highs, for full distorted tone and parallel output for clean lows recording a clean signal.
    Can I do this when playing live, I don´t wont my lows to be overdriven live. Some pedals have this feature like ashdown hyper drive james lomenzo. Is this possible whith my sansamp?

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Options:

3. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

What about the ashdown james lomenzo? All the other options are not available at my country

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    You would have to add a blend pedal or a small 2-channel mixer to your pedalboard to do it with the VTD. Or you could run two amps/cabs or an amp with two separate channels, though you really don't see a whole lot of two-channel amps anymore.

Honestly, though, I've never gotten why some folks think it should have a blend. To me the lows sound plenty full when it's overdriving. But the VT DI does seem to be selling and the blend always comes up as a selling point, so what do I know?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

I didn't mention the J-Lo pedal since you already did. I'm not a fan of it personally, but hey, it's a cheap option and it has a lot of fans, so give it a go!

Don't worry about pedals not being available in your country. As long as you don't live somewhere remote so that a courier can get to you, you can import pedals from the US or other countries. I import pedals from the US all the time, works out way cheaper than buying over here, and I can sell it used for the same price I paid new, so I don't lose out when trying new stuff!

7. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

For what I had read in the forum and my narrow budget and insufficient brands in my country perhaps Boss Ls2 would be the best option for my needs... It can do the work of a blend knob?
    Boss pedals are cheap here and they have them everywhere.:p

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Go for it, it's a very useful pedal to have. It can even blend 2 parallel channels, so you could put a couple of cheap EQ pedals in each loop to give you clean lows mixed with distorted highs.

9. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Wich eq pedals??? Any popular brand??? Boss?
    I need 2??
    I have a gallien krueger 1001 rbll with parallel FX send return. And a DBX 160A compressor.
    Could some wise people explain me how I connect all this?
    Thanks

10. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

Or you can send the vt dlx away and get a blend added to it (http://www.putnamguitars.com/mods.htm). 60 bucks and you pretty well know what you're getting because you've already been doing similar things in the studio.

11. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

bump
    Wich eq pedals??? Any popular brand??? Boss?
    I need 2??
    I have a gallien krueger 1001 rbll with parallel FX send return. And a DBX 160A compressor.
    Could some wise people explain me how I connect all this?
    Thanks

12. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    With the VT Bass DLX in the studio you could just send the buffered uneffected output to a second channel and mix that with the SansAmp output. This is how it works in the recording studio. You are not really losing low end though. The low end may be perceived as less because distortion generates upper harmonic content that skews your perception of tonal balance. If you want "clean" lows and distorted highs that is another matter.

For live you could just do the same thing by sending a DI of your clean signal to the board along with the SansAmp output.

To do the blend thing in the amp is a bit more challenging. If the GK has a parallel efx loop you could plug your bass first into the GK and send the tuner out to the input of the VT Bass DLX. Then send the 1/4" output of the VT Bass DLX to your amps efx return jack. If you're using the VT Bass DLX as an always on pedal just adjust the output of the pedal to the sound of your uneffected signal to taste. If you plan on using different presets it might be best to set up the first preset with the level off so there is no signal present when the pedal in not being used.