Tech 21 VT Bass + Other Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Champion, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Champion

Champion

First of all, I am a newbie and have never used any effect pedal. I have been considering the tech 21 VT bass just to have a bit of fun and get some variation on tones. However, I see people use the VT bass with other pedals (such as overdrive etc). My question is - why do you need to use an overdrive with the VT Bass? Does the VT bass give you the overdrive effect already?

Thanks.

2. ShowKing

ShowKing

VT bass is capable of its own overdrive, but I think most people including myself use it as a clean or slightly dirty tone shaping tool.

I use an overdrive with it because it makes any overdrive/distortion pedals sound way better than on its own.

I'm not a huge fan of the VT's distortion but it sounds great clean and makes other distortion pedals sound fantastic.

IME

3. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Depends on how you plan on using it.
    If you are not playing Ampeg gear - The VT's sole function is to mimic Ampeg tones. So as for general use, most find that the VT Bass is not a "stomp box" overdrive "effect" because it can alter your normal tone too much. Most find (including myself) that its tone as an "always on" is much more preferable. In these cases, you are essentially using the box as your straight tone (think of it acting as your amp's tone), and additional overdrive or distortion gain stages are necessary for the amount of dirt you want to dial in.

Not to say that there is not exceptions that might work personally better for your situation, but this might address your question about using the VT as a gain stage as opposed to a tone shaper.

4. dalahorse

dalahorse

My VT is always on. I use it for tone shaping and keep the gain set such that I get a bit of OD when I dig in. That then feeds my Markbass Distorsore which blends the input signal with tube distortion. I've been using this setup for just over a week and am really happy with the tone.

The VT goes well into distortion on its own. In fact, it doesn't loose much bass at all when the drive is cranked. But I didn't like that it couldn't blend the clean signal with the distorted signal without external hardware/software.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Thats a video of my pedalboard. I explain that it makes other pedals, especially fuzzes or distortions sound way better.

7. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Great examples of pedals interacting with the VT. Thanks for sharing!

8. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

That is a really useful video and an impressive array of pedals!

9. Massimo636

Massimo636

Same answer as others. I have my VT-Bass on at all times as my main tone. It is set on the edge of breakup if I dig in hard. I use a separate overdrive pedal (a RAT) for an all out distorted sound.

In my opinion if you use the VT-Bass just to kick on some overdrive here and there you are under-utilizing it for the money it costs and there are better options for a $170 overdrive pedal. VT-Bass is more of a pre-amp or tone-shaper that you leave on.

10. Champion

Champion

Thanks everyone, that makes sense. I am actually keen to use it as tone control but just wonder if I need another overdrive pedal. Seem like I don't for now . Thx again.

11. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

i agree with most of this. one thing to think about is the controls are pretty responsive, so if you need a little more drive for a song, a little tweak goes a long way, IME.

12. dalahorse

dalahorse

This, +100. Tiny little adjustments go a very long way on the VT. One of the many reasons this thing is so versatile!

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, I feel so all alone! I only use it for overdrive on electric. I sometimes use it as a splitter and tone shaper for upright, but for electric, only distortion. Don't really need it for a clean sound.

14. cardboardJoe

cardboardJoe

I use mine to beat those pre- amp tubes into submission....
    Tubes are evil, and MUST be punished!

15. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

That's because you actually play an Ampeg for your clean tone Jimmy.

16. bass nitro

bass nitro

I think that this pedal is ok to play alone and color you sound.If you do not have good foundation - just forget it.I do not use my anymore.

17. jpTron

jpTron

I use mine as a preamp through the power section of my amp and set the drive high enough that I don't need any OD. But I also like keeping my Ibanez TS in line in case I want to use my VT clean and add the TS to kick in some more mid rangey, crunchy goodness.

18. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

My daughter gave me an Amazon gift certificate for Christmas, which I applied to a VT Bass v2 purchase.
    Amazon offers free shipping, this combined with the gift certificate made the retail price a bit more palatable.

For starters, it will probably be used only for footswitch controlled grind on demand.
    I'm looking forward to doing a full RTA analysis of this pedal.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Looking forward to seeing it, too, especially with the speaker sim off. We've had RTA tests done with the speaker sim, but never with it off.

20. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I'm looking forward to that as well. I want to have a fresh listen to how it's different/similar to the sounds I'm getting on my MXR M80.

21. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

I don't really get why people prefer the vt bass with the speaker sim off. To me, that's the main feature of the pedal. With it off, it just sounds like an exaggerated eq shape that I could dial in at the amp. If its the treble you don't like, then try another setting for the high knob or reduce the treble on ur amp. My two cents.