1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tech 21 VT Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lavaman67, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lavaman67

lavaman67

I ran a search for the Tech 21 VT Bass several different ways, but wasn't able to come up with anything as a single post. I was wondering if anyone has had any direct experience either at NAAM or anywhere else? I also have an email into Tech 21, but does anybody know of a release date at this point?
  2. lavaman67

lavaman67

This is the information that I received back from Tech 21 this morning.

"The VT Bass has more Drive and a lot more midrange than the Bass Driver DI... it's sort of like an XXL running into a Bass Driver. We plan to begin shipping late May/early June, and yes, it's a SansAmp, so it can go direct to the board (unbalanced 1/4" low impedance output."

If anyone else has had any hands-on experience with this pedal at NAAM or anywhere else, don't be shy.
  3. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Cool! Thanks for posting.

JR
  4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

sounds promising
  5. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

how quick will those sell out?!
  6. bassman1185

bassman1185

Oooooohhhhhhh man, that sounds fantastic.
  7. lavaman67

lavaman67

Sure thing. I would like to see what a blend of a VT Bass, my Mesa 400+ and a mic'd NV610 would sound like live and in the studio. It's nice to hear the VT seems to be voiced with more mids than a Sans Amp and also has a mid knob.
  8. bassman1185

bassman1185

Is there any word on pricing? I was under the impression that it would be a a fair ammount less than the SABDDI, since it doesn't have the XLR output or phanton power.
  9. lavaman67

lavaman67

US Suggested Retail is $195, which means MAP ("street price") is $149. Pretty reasonable IMO if it does what is says it will do and sports a reasonably high level of sound quality and the "character" is true.
  10. bassman1185

bassman1185

OK, cool, $150 was what I thought I had heard before, but I couldn't remember. I'm pretty tempted to pick this thing up once it comes out.
  11. assboglin

assboglin

I've owned sansamps before and didn't like what they did for my bass but something with more mids might be more up my alley. Maybe I'll have to check this one out when it hits.
  12. 98dvl

98dvl

I hope it falls between an Bass Driver and an XXL.

The XXL is great, but too much drive for some applications.

The Bass Driver is great, but not enough drive for some applications.

The XXL sounds great plugged into a Bass Driver.

Sounds like this pedal might be really nice, and nasty!
  13. lavaman67

lavaman67

Well again, this quote "The VT Bass has more Drive and a lot more midrange than the Bass Driver DI... it's sort of like an XXL running into a Bass Driver," was from Lloyd Schwartz, Product Manager at Tech 21, in respone to my original email.

Sounds like it will be exactly what you and many other have been looking for.
  14. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Malekko Heavy Industry
    I played through it at NAMM. It sounds very thick and creamy and does a great job at emulating tube sounds. It was really easy for me to dial up a "vintage Wetton" tone within the first 30 seconds!

I give it two thumbs and an extra extremity or two way up! :hyper:
  15. lavaman67

lavaman67

That's great to hear! I love to hear hands-on reactions. What were you playing it through Vegas?
  16. Mon Rominee

Mon Rominee

That into a power amp and into my 610hlf & I think I'll start to cry.
  17. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Malekko Heavy Industry
    They had a P style bass into the vt into one of their new power amps into a 410. I'm tellin' ya, this thing is waaay better than a standard BDDI.
  18. DblStopBomber

DblStopBomber

I also played the VT at NAMM and was very impressed. Keep in mind that NAMM is a horrible listening environment since it's so noisy, but kneeling directly in front of the speaker at a moderate volume it sounded simply fantastic! It sounded like a raging SVT, yum! I'm gonna take another listen before I decide to buy or not, but thus far it's two thumbs way up, and I am dying to hear it again!

:hyper:
  19. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Definitely on my watch list when it comes out.
  20. bdeaux

bdeaux Bass, the final frontier! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Branden Campbell
    Oh yes!! I played it too at NAMM, it was the Mike Lull p-bass into the VT bass - it defined bass!! I want one of those pedals asap! The character knob on the pedal offers alot of variety. It was just an amazing overall pedal. Since it was straight into a power amp, I don't have any idea of what the color/tone will be in front of an actual head.

I am thinking VT Bass | Aguilar DB728 | DB810 or 412. With a Countryman DI in the mix somewhere.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.