1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tech 21 VT Bass???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by steelerbrian1, May 26, 2010.

1. steelerbrian1

steelerbrian1

Hello, I run a Sansamp RBI into an Ampeg SVT-VR head, and lately I've been using the Boss Overdrive ODB-3 to add some roughness to my sound. I'm still not quite able to get the sound I'm looking for - something similar to Circa Survive. Does anyone know whether the purchase of a Tech 21 VT Bass would be worth adding to my rig? I finally heard about it today. Thank you.

2. Broadbent

Broadbent

YES! I get to be the first to tell you to wait a month and get the VT Deluxe.

Hey steelerbrian1,

Just wait for the VT Deluxe.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    the good thing about the vt is that you can set it to match what your vr would sound like if you had it pegged. you can get sort of close with the bddi but not really. you can't get anywhere near it with the odb-3. whole different vibe, that pedal. i'm getting a vt deluxe, but unless you want to plug in two basses and/or get multiple overdrive tones, you could get away with the regular vt.

4. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Disclosures:
    endorsments: Hartke Hydrive cabs, DR strings
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Disclosures:
    endorsments: Hartke Hydrive cabs, DR strings
    since we r on this topic, how is the ebs microbass and or the ebs multidrive?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    used to have a microbass. the distortion is very gnarly...reminds me a lot of a rat with better low end. i hear the multidrive has the same distortion tone.

8. rodl2005

rodl2005

'nother vote for the VT bass here. As Jimmy says- You CAN Dial it up to sound identical to the SVT-VR-clean OR cranked & dirty. I can literally plug it in with my SVT & dial it to make 99% the SAME sound as the clean SVT- not that I want it to do that with my SVT :-/ - BUT the option is there... then U can dial up the drive for the sound of the SVT at deafening levels.......

9. joegrant413

joegrant413

After having returned the SansAmp Bass Driver DI because it had too much noise and wasn't generally all that super to my ears, I'm happy to say I like the VT Bass a lot so far. I'll be performing with it this Sunday, so I'll find out soon if it sounds good to me in that environment.

If I like it, and I find at least a couple of different settings that are useful, I'm going to see if I can exchange it via GC for the VT Bass Deluxe. Of course, that all depends on the Deluxe coming out soon.

Anyone got a firm release date on when happens?

-- Joe

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    all i know is the june 6 release date got pushed back to july.

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Lame. :meh:

12. nboyer941

nboyer941

How do you "know" that?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    i "know" that because i'm part of a group buy from the perfect bass and that's what they said.

14. joegrant413

joegrant413

Too bad, but thx for the info.
    -- Joe

15. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Man! I really need to get to a big town and find some place that actually has bass effects in stock and not just the obligatory smattering of boss stuff. I am dying to run one of these and be sure it has the growl and the pushed SVT tone I so want. That is without dropping a few grand on vintage SVT stuff...

16. steelerbrian1

steelerbrian1

I know how you feel ProfGumby. Thanks to the posters on this thread, and a lot of research elsewhere, I'm definitely ordering one soon. Sounds like the missing link to the sound I'm looking for. Does anyone think adding a compressor to my rig would be a smart move?

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    unless you have a reason for a compressor without having to search for one, you don't need it.

18. billoetjen

billoetjen

Hahahahaha

I LOVE this question.

I hate effects. I LOVE my VT Bass.

Unlikely to be improved upon.

19. rodl2005

rodl2005

I agree, Will be damn hard to improve upon!!

The New VTDELUXE will be great & HOPEFULLY I wont succumb to gas & grab one - as the VT does me fine. I've also go a Prog SANSAMP BDDI & this does me fine for WHEN I DO need a few different OD's on tap.

I've only used FX for the last 1/2 of my bassing career ;-) since I got a ZOOM multi FX back in mid '90's....... :-/ Still got that & it's STILL remarkably good IMO. has some good OD's & decent auto-wahs etc, atrocious synths :) But hey.........!
    I don't use it but hey.....!

I reckon the price of the VT DELUXE will be HUGE here in AUS. The VTBASS was $350+ when it 1st came out here!!!!!!! My darling wife bought me one for my B'day.
    6 months later I got one from the USA for under 1/2 that :-/
    So IMAGINE WHAT they'll hit us for the DELUXE?????????? Ha! Defies belief!