1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

tech help with gk800rb please...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thejeez, Dec 19, 2004.

1. thejeez

thejeez

Hi. I got a used gk 800rb, and it has a problem that i have narrowed down to an input jack. It seems that the jack has been "pulled down" by the weight of a cord. If i prop something like a roll of toilet paper under the cord, it is ok, but if i remove the leverage, the amp gets staticky and drops out. What i'm wondering is, if it is just a broken solder joint, how easy, and dangerous, is this to get to and fix. I am hesitant to open the amp, but Is it worth the money to take this to a repair shop, or is it something i can fix myself in five minutes? ( I have basic electronic and soldering experience.) thanks for any help.

2. armybass

armybass Keith Roscoe Basses and Aguilar Amplification Gold Supporting Member

I had a similar problem with a GK 800RB and it was a plastic washer or something along those lines inside the input jack and was a rather cheap and easy fix. I took it to a shop and paid a pro to do it though. I don't fiddle inside of amps....basses maybe, but not amps ;)

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Have you tried a different cord? I've come across some cords with smaller than normal plugs...still "1/4 in" but slightly smaller that didn't work at all well with the jack in my active bass...

If it's just a bent jack, it should be an easy fix. You can unplug the amp, let it sit for a little while (5 to 10 minutes), pop the top off and see if the contact of the jack is visible and needs to be pushed back to where it belongs.

4. shirojiro

shirojiro

Resurrecting an 8 year old thread...

My new (to me) GK 800Rb has the same problem.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Just replace the jack?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd try to clean it real good first. The metal parts can oxidize and you don't get a real good connection.

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

This first.

If that doesn't help, the jack is tricky to re-tension so replace it. It takes a little time to get the preamp board out to replace the jack (soldered to the PCB).

8. shirojiro

shirojiro

Just a follow up

Turns out my input jack was fine. The real culprit was a bad Boost pot. Pulling down on the jack flexed the pc board enough to fix whatever bad connection was in the Boost pot.

Got it replaced since I'm lazy and it's back to normal.