1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

tech21 character as pre + power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pumatheman, Feb 5, 2014.

1. pumatheman

pumatheman

Hi folks, I really like using the Blonde pedal through the 'effect return' of the amp so I started wondering if anyone has ever tried to match a tech21 character serie as pre through a power amp like a Marshall 9100 or a "similar one"... I have a Marshall DBS 7015 (1x15'') cab =)
    Does this could have any sense? :bag:
  2. pfschim

pfschim Supporting Member

personally, I have not, but it makes perfect sense. I think you just need to know the output level of the VT expression pedal(s) and then make sure the Power amp you choose has matching input sensitivity. So you will know that the VT has the ability to effectively drive the power amp.

good luck
  3. pumatheman

pumatheman

in the specs of Marshall 9100 they say Power input 350 watts and Input impedance 20K Ω http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/91009200.pdf is it the maximum load?
    preamps doesn't have that power I think ... tech21 character power out isn't specified they says: http://www.tech21nyc.com/support/manuals/sansamp/CharacSeries-OM.pdf

"AS A PRE-AMP driving a power amp. The 1/4” output of the Character pedal has enough juice to drive a standard power amplifier. Simply connect the 1/4” output to the power amp input and adjust the Level control accordingly.You will probably not use the bypass mode of the pedal in this setup.

1/4” UNIVERSAL OUTPUT:
    Unbalanced 1kOhm Low Z output.This output can be connected to High Z guitar amplifiers (or effects) as well as Low Z mixer and computer inputs. Output level is unity gain when pedal is in bypass mode.When activated, the output level can range from instrument level to line level depending on your settings.Also drives long cables without loss of signal integrity, even in bypass."

mmmh ... my cab is 8 ohm and holds 200 watts rms ... if I drive it with a beast like Marshall 9100 do you think it could be dangerous for the cab?

Do you think 50w "valve" watts final could be balanced on my cab 200w rms at 8ohm?
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

350w is dangerous for a 200w cab, but only if you don't notice the cab complaining and turn down.

50w tube amp shouldn't cause problems, if it has 8ohm output. Some have only 4 and 2ohm.
  5. pumatheman

pumatheman

but they say that 350w is the power INPUT and the "Output Power 50W RMS"
  6. pumatheman

pumatheman

oh just found this FAQ on Tech 21 site:

6. What power amp do you recommend using with the SansAmp products?

Any solid state power amp with at least 100 watts of power should have enough clean headroom to amplify your tone without coloring it further or adding additional distortion. Since the SansAmp offers tube amp emulation, using a tube power amp could possibly add too much compression.

mmmm
  7. aledeville

aledeville

Yeah, but 200W could also be dangerous for a with 200W rated cab...
    Power is never the problem. What people are trying to get out of the cab is the key issue. A 410 with limitless power does not result in limitless volume.

But why not going into a power amp? You may take a light PA poweramp for instance.