1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tech21NYC BDDI vs VT bass DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ShadowVampyre, Jul 24, 2013.

1. ShadowVampyre

ShadowVampyre Supporting Member

OK, so what is really the difference between the existing BDDI and the not quite shipping yet VT Bass DI? I have watched several YouTube videos comparing the VT bass vs the SansAmp BDDI, and am still confused.

It seems to me that they have and can make very similar sounds, again, over YouTube with headphones.

Is it worth waiting for the VT Bass DI, or would I be served just as well by a used BDDI?

I am looking for a DI pedal, a dirt pedal/tube emulation and a preamp for around $200 or $250.

I play 5 strings mostly (STingRay and Squier VM Jazz), contemporary Christian Rock in church, Rock, some metal, some classic rock.

Thank you!
  2. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Interesting question.
    My understanding is the rack version of the BDDI is the RPM, the rack version of the VT Bass is the forthcoming VTRM.

Evidently there is sufficient difference for Tech21 to release both pedals, and both rack units.
  3. ShadowVampyre

4. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I hope the VTRM comes out before i have my Euro tour next month.. I need to get one since i Backline everything... The VTRM would be perfect o fly with on this trip... Damn, i need to get used to the thing.. Anyone know what the release date is?
  5. ShadowVampyre

6. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
  7. chunkstyle

chunkstyle Supporting Member

sorry for hijack, but what's the difference between the VT DI and the VT rackmount? I know the rackmount has an effects loop and some other little things. No cab simulation on the rackmount?
  8. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The rack version of the Bass Driver DI would be the RBI. The RPM is the rack mount version of the Para Driver DI.

The sound is pretty much the same between the floor pedals and rack mount versions though the feature set is slightly different. The rack mount units run on a higher internal voltage and have a bit more headroom and higher output capabilities.

The Bass Driver is a more modern aggressive tone and is designed to get you that sound easily. The VT Bass products cover a wider range of vintage Ampeg tones from B15 to SVT type sounds and beyond.
  9. ShadowVampyre

Thanks. Can the VT cover the range of sounds that the Bass Driver does, or vice versa? It kind of sounds like it from the youtube vid i posted above.

Just confused...fairly new bassist (2.5 yrs self taught, non gigging, just alone or in church)
  10. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    I would say that the VT could get close to the Bass Driver tone but not exactly. The Bass Driver would not be able to get as many tones as the VT.
  11. ShadowVampyre

any clue when the VT DI is shipping?
  12. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

I have both--a BDDI and a VT Bass pedal (v2). Sometimes I use the BDDI by itself and sometimes I use the VT Bass for character and the BDDI (switched off) as the "vanilla" DI. So, what's the difference? It depends on the bass. Some sound better in the mix with the BDDI, and others sound better with the VT.

The BDDI is less sensitive to how you choose your settings. It can be set pretty much any which way and sound good. The VT Bass requires some pretty specific settings to sound good IMO/IME.
  13. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

14. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

IMO, the VTDI is a lot better than the BDDI as far as tonal versatility. The VTDI can cop the BDDI's tone without breaking a sweat while the BDDI cannot really get near the VTDI. I obviously havent played the VTDI, but I use to own a VTv2 and a BDDI. Once I got the VT the BDDI came off my board. They are both great pedals but the VT won me over because it was more versatile and the the dirt on it was very usable. I cant say the same for the BDDI. I thought the gain/drive on it was nasty and unsable in most settings. I'd go VTDI all the way.
  15. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    This is what I always try to tell people. The Bass Driver is for those that want "that" sound and the ability to get there fast. Some players prefer more simplicity. They can feel alienated by a piece of gear that requires a great deal of tweaking to get what they are looking for. Option anxiety.

It helps to know what camp your are in before purchasing any gear. Some people get too bogged down in "it does this, it does that, it slices it dices..." when in reality they will only use the product for maybe one or two tones. We have many lead guitarists that prefer our Character Series pedals over digital modelers. They like the simplicity of setting up a basic amp tone and using their existing pedal boards vs wading through a PDF manual and dealing with menu driven parameters and presets. It's not right or wrong just personal preference.
  16. ShadowVampyre

Gregmon, that about sums it up.
    I will wait for the VT DI.

So, tech21nyc, care to comment on when this pedal might be shipped to resellers?
  17. Wireking1

Wireking1 Supporting Member

Crickets Chirping.....

(For the record......I have a BDDI, VT and a VT DI on order, so I'm not a hater, just making a funny)
  18. ShadowVampyre

Sweetwater says it sounds like the end of August for the VT DI if you order now.
  19. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

Hopefully. I wonder what the hold up is. I remember wanting one of these really bad when they said it was going to me released back in april I think it was. I no longer need or want it. I moved on to a different, and IMO, and much better pre. No looking back at all.
  20. Handyman

Handyman Supporting Member

It sounded like Tech21 was having a supply issue with one or more components. No idea about the specifics, though.

I'm really interested in hearing people's experiences with this thing once it rolls out. I'm especially curious about how well the EQ works as a general purpose preamp with the blend knob set all the way to "dry".