1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Technical Metal Practice Tips?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Progfan44, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Progfan44

Progfan44

I currently play bass in a very technical and progressive metal band and I've recently been encountering some problems. I have difficulty "keeping up" with my fingers and will not be caught dead using a pick (no offence pick players, I just don't like the feel/sound). Does anyone with experience in this genre have any advice for developing fast 3 finger chops crossing multiple strings? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

Be concious of how hard you're playing. Only a light touch is necessary, even for an agressive sound, plucking hard will tire you out and slow you down. For 3/4 finger styles there's a bunch of different options, and everyone seems to have their own aproach.

3. El-Bob

El-Bob

If you're going to go at it fingerstyle, be aware of the time commitment for not only developing, but also sustaining the technique. After 4 years of University, I have lost most of my tech. metal chops (yet still improved as a musician). Just something to consider. :)

4. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

I'm not alone! :D

I can't offer any advice though. Just to keep practicing. At slow tempos, then speeding them up. Implementing your ring finger where applicable.

+1 to light touch. easy in a practice environment, yet at a show I die. One song in and I'm feeling the burn from a heavy hand.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ZeroSymbolic

ZeroSymbolic

Watch, learn, and practice.

7. Spatial

Spatial

+1 on this video this one I found when I first started learning 3 finger technique and it was quite helpful

8. lizardwizard28

lizardwizard28

Metronome, start slow, increase.

9. oniman7

oniman7

I think you'll find 2 finger technique is easier across strings, but to each his own.

Diminished, whole tone, and other such scales are great. Focus on playing consistently and with a fairly light touch. I find that somewhere between a rest and free stroke is great. A light touch like a free stroke but come to rest on the next string.

Also, try doing permutations of scales. 5 1 2 3 7 4 6 8 instead of 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8. That sort of thing

10. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

For crossing strings I will still use 2 fingers, but I'm sure there is a way to do it with 3 or 4 fingers.

Also their is a lot of different kind of technical metal that may or may not help to keep up... I mean using sweep, slap, or a fretless ... or even not always following the guitar may help a lot !!!

Finger style