1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Technical Metal Practice Tips?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Progfan44, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Progfan44

Progfan44

I currently play bass in a very technical and progressive metal band and I've recently been encountering some problems. I have difficulty "keeping up" with my fingers and will not be caught dead using a pick (no offence pick players, I just don't like the feel/sound). Does anyone with experience in this genre have any advice for developing fast 3 finger chops crossing multiple strings? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

Be concious of how hard you're playing. Only a light touch is necessary, even for an agressive sound, plucking hard will tire you out and slow you down. For 3/4 finger styles there's a bunch of different options, and everyone seems to have their own aproach.
  3. El-Bob

El-Bob

If you're going to go at it fingerstyle, be aware of the time commitment for not only developing, but also sustaining the technique. After 4 years of University, I have lost most of my tech. metal chops (yet still improved as a musician). Just something to consider. :)
  4. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

I'm not alone! :D

I can't offer any advice though. Just to keep practicing. At slow tempos, then speeding them up. Implementing your ring finger where applicable.

+1 to light touch. easy in a practice environment, yet at a show I die. One song in and I'm feeling the burn from a heavy hand.
  5. ZeroSymbolic

ZeroSymbolic

Watch, learn, and practice.
  6. Spatial

Spatial

+1 on this video this one I found when I first started learning 3 finger technique and it was quite helpful
  7. lizardwizard28

lizardwizard28

Metronome, start slow, increase.
  8. oniman7

oniman7

I think you'll find 2 finger technique is easier across strings, but to each his own.

Diminished, whole tone, and other such scales are great. Focus on playing consistently and with a fairly light touch. I find that somewhere between a rest and free stroke is great. A light touch like a free stroke but come to rest on the next string.

Also, try doing permutations of scales. 5 1 2 3 7 4 6 8 instead of 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8. That sort of thing
  9. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

For crossing strings I will still use 2 fingers, but I'm sure there is a way to do it with 3 or 4 fingers.

Also their is a lot of different kind of technical metal that may or may not help to keep up... I mean using sweep, slap, or a fretless ... or even not always following the guitar may help a lot !!!

Finger style